Technical 1.6 wants to die!!!

Currently reading:
Technical 1.6 wants to die!!!

dobson2k

Yup no luck with cars or fiats any way. i have a leak not sure what although i have a rough idea. The gearbox looks as if its got a leak. just wondering what componants could cause this and if i need a new gearbox. Its only just happened after a run to birmingham from cardiff and back. please help this car just seems to want to die on me. cheers ant

wimmy had a leak in his gearbox and i believe he needed a new one or got a reconditioned one, either way it was buggered!

Dont qoute me on that id wait for the man himself to come along and confirm/deny this :)

Narrow it down. What kind of oil is it engine or gearbox? Gearbox oil is much thicker and has a strong smell. Stick your finger in and sniff it. Oo sorry Missus have you tried yoghurt? :)

Last edited:
it does feel thin, yet there is no oil on or around the engine at all. It seems to be comming from the gearbox unless engine oil has a passageway down there. Thing is gearbox and engine both seem to be running fine. Are there any seals that may have broken? need some advice asap.cheers guys

I get a bit around bell housing under car; does not quite make a drip, looks brown in colour on box, but if you stck your finger in it it is quite thin and fairly translucent.
Not water /as it has a viscose feel
Not engine oil /differnt colour wrong smell
Don't think it is gear oil/2 thin not the right smell
If I didn't know differant I would say it is clutch fluid, right consistancy/smell ??? slave was changed over 6 months back, if I wash it off it comes back in a couple of weeks/ slave has definatly NO leak and NO loss of brake/clutch fluid.
So I am at a loss as well, unless the box has synthetic gear oil in it, which has just occured to me writing this. but it still feels too thin.
I know this post is of no use to you at all, but at least your not alone with an incontinent Fiat :(

Last edited:
there is a crankshaft oil seal behind the engine flywheel that would drip out between the engine and gearbox connection, cannot be seen with the gearbox in place though.

Cheers for your help. Oil sounds the same, but it does smell like trans oil although thin. My dad on hol at the mo (nob) said when i went to birmingham and back non stop may have thinned iit a bit. could explain y it is leaking.

my leaks a bit more frequent, the small 2pound coin size pool is now a like te diam of a mug every morn.

Think iv found where its comming from, not sure yet, but where the drive shaft comes out, the cv joint? Are there any seals down there that could bust or does the oil just need changing?? im puzzled

Guna check the transmission oil level later tonight and just keep topping up until i know the prob for sure.

Any suggestions on whats needed from this though would be brilliant. Ant

Back