I fought the law and the law won!

Currently reading:
I fought the law and the law won!

C

chris

just got my first three points for doing 39 in a 30 how ******** is that ive only had my bravo about 6 weeks! :(

No offence but 39 in a 30 is a good reason to get done. The 30 limit is there for a reason.

I live in a quiet residential street and little sods seem to think its an excuse for seeing how fast they can go. No-one has been hit yet but there is usually 1 cat vs car a year including one of my cats a few years back.

I can understand you being gutted. but i agree with tom on this one. Fair enough if your going a bit fast on the open road but in residential areas you really should stick to 30 max. At least this might make you slow down now?

Re: Re: I fought the law and the law won!

If you feel unlucky, I got my first 3 points for doing 59 in a 50 zone on a motorway at 3:10am in the morning.

No traffic, never even realised it was a 50 zone?

Ian.

Re: Re: Re: I fought the law and the law won!

how about 117. and getting away with it. lol

Martin

Re: Re: Re: Re: I fought the law and the law won!

You should have 6 points for 39 in a 30.

The way it would work under AdolfNige is

20mph 300yds either side of a school etc with camera's. If you get nicked you loose your license for 1 month and a £500 fine regardless of ANYTHING

30mph in residential - if you get caught, 6 points £250 fine

no 40 mph limit - what a waste of effort

Single carriadge way 70mph limit - if you get caught £100 fine - no points until you go over 90 then 6 points

Dual carriadgeway and M Way - 90 limit £100 fine and 6 points if over 110

There would also be fines and points for a car doing less than 65 on the M way and less than 50 on a single lane.

EVERY car should be fitted with a residential speed limiter. They are no technology science anymore and should be fitted to every new car as standard. If you can fit sat nav you can fit one of these! It wouldnt be a auto thing, just a button on the steering wheel as in GP cars for the pits - paddle gearbox mate - nah, pit lane limiter!

Lastly, £1.50 fine for not being able to spell carriadgeway

Off to the cells young man

Nige

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I fought the law and the law won!

i gree with niges view, theres nothing worse than being stuck behind someone doing 40 in a 60, then when it goes into a 30 they just carry on at 40!

i also agree that any car that is overtaken by a lorry should have the driver banned. if a 40tonne truck can do 57 down the motorway i'm sure a micra can!

There's a long 2 way motorway that i go on every day and you spend most of your time waiting for a lorry to overtake another lorry, but what really pisses me off is when the lorry is having to overtake a car!

BUT what REALLY PISSES ME OFF is cars that just sit in the outside lane for no reason. i've really given up with them, i must undertake 5 cars a day just cos they won't move over. Atleast 3 of those will be on a 3 lane motorway where theres some dumb blonde in a ford ka doing 60 in the overtaking lane whilst i go past in the slow lane. AND THEY STILL DON'T BLOODY THINK TO PULL OVER!!!

ARRRRRGH This driving is too much stress!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I fought the law and the law won!

No offence to the good female drivers out there,, and I know quite a few,, but was following a mondeo on dual carridgeway doin 80 then come to a slight bend, no need to slow and she hits the brakes hard down to 50,, thought there must have been some hazard infront,, turns out the only hazard was the wingnut in the mondeo.

Also on A27 coming home from work saw car in fast lane going very slow..... turns out to be woman in Land Rover going the WRONG WAY,,, nearly had a head on. Lots of people beeping flashing her but she just had eyes fixed on road without a care in the world.

Not anti women drivers honest,, just couple of things I saw in disbelief :S

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I fought the law and the law won!

i see a hell of a lot of women drivers and i reckon about 1-10 are good drivers, i have no idea why they are so bad but they just seem to have 50 things running through there mind at once.

there is a road i have to go down everymorning called lowgate it is in the town centre and there are offices on either side and it is a single lane road, occationally you get a brewery van or something parking on the double yellows doing a delevery causing a slight obstruction but i don't mind that, he even mounts the curb to allow the cars a little more room.

but when i see a woman in a vauxhall estate park up 2 foot away from the curb, whack her hazards on and nip into shop for a packet of fags i was amazed, not only had she obstructed cars comeing towards her but she parked directly opposite some road works meaning neither car on opposite sides could move causeing massive chaos, she was in the newsagents for less then 5 min and by the time she came out i couldent cound the ammount of cars behind us, there were easily over 50, this street links up with about 6 others and everyone of them was filled with cars causeing traffic chaos.

^^ typical example

ps. i completly agree with you nige that sounds like a good system, and aparantly scoda are testing those speed limiters now, it slows down your engine revs but apparantly there is an overide button on the dsah you can press or something, but it is something i would like to see also.

i once got 3 points for doing 76mph in a 70 at 10pm with less then 10 cars on the road, completly shocking i had only had my car 3 weeks i was gutted, although they run out in november (thank god)

Dear tom and jon ur rather boring sods but yes ur right. i got caught 300 feet from my own front door though. the road i got caught on is a big road anyway which used to be a 40 and lastly (funny but irratating) my dad confessed he got caught by the same radar on the same day doing 37 yet he only got a £60 pound fine. i was only doing 2 mph more than him and got 3 points. maybe the police felt sorry for him driving an ugly C5 and picked on me cus mines a moddified motor.

SPEEDING

Er if your dad got fined for speeding, he got three points, it's automatic.

I got pulled for doin 95.96 on motorway, he timed me between two marks in road, he was alright though, had a bit of a laugh, got three points though, I asked where he got me, he told me bottom of hill, I said, so I'm lucky then, I was doin 120mph at top of hill! He laughed and said I'll see you again!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I fought the law and the law won!

The part of the brain which deals with Spacial (sp?) Awareness - being able to judge distances and speeds - is smaller in women than in men - Fact. That's why there are very few female racing drivers.

Even my g/f (who is a Very good driver) says that on the whole women are awful drivers, but some of this is down to the fact that good driving comes from experience and women don't drive as much as men. Not as many women drive as men, and in couples you usually find that when they go out together the man drives.
But there are a large number of male drivers that should not even be able to look at car keys let alone hold them.

The rules according to Nige are cool, but of course it would then be mandatory for BMW and Audi drivers to do at least 130 on the motorway :( I used to know one who drove everywhere at full speed (155 in his M3 til he got the limmiter removed) and always blagged his way out of convictions, absolute maniac.

IMO the general rule is women drive too cautiously, men drive too recklessly... one meets the other and bang!

Re: SPEEDING

I'm sure i read somewhere that they are testing a new computer systems in cars, that when you are speeding it automatically fines you.

It allows a bit of give and take. If i remember its 25%, which is not bad (37.5 for a 30 zone, and 87.5 in a 70 zone)

i thought it was pretty good, and if they raise the speed limits to 80mph as planned, that will be the magic 100mph!!!

I can do 99 and not get a fine...yahoo

Re: Re: SPEEDING

i HATE that idea to the max....whould u like the government to know exactly what u are doing anytime u get in a car..im serious when i say ill emigrate if the government EVER bring that in. it is just another way to bring in draconian speed limits with fines and enforcement to match...id much rather have a copper who does someone at 33 in a 30 and uses his judgement on open roads say at 95mph at 3am on a 3 lane motorway.

i dont condone speeding in a built up area...i reckon people get what they deserve if they get done in a 30 or a 40 but on an open road with no traffic.....

Re: Re: Re: SPEEDING

..But if the speed limits do go up to 80mph (We wish), like most of the political party's are suggesting (another way to try to win votes - try lowering car tax), then you can drive just under 100mph with little chance of getting a ticket.

Surely that wouldn't be too bad.

I do agree that no and again, we all like to stick our foot down on open roads and see what are babies can do, but i think this is the way the future will be.

I'm sure i read somewhere that they are testing a new computer systems in cars, that when you are speeding it automatically fines you.

very funny... i suppose it'd have a slot for you to put your credit card in marked "We accept Visa Mastercard Switch and all major credit cards"

anyway, for all we know Gordon Brown could be sitting in front of his computer reading this with his beady eyes taking notes!
Craig

I am still trying to find the magasine it was in, i'm sure it was either in 'What Car?' or 'Top Marques' something along those lines...It wasnt in Max Power or that type..

It was a geniune article with road tests and loads of pictures, facts, stats etc..

Thinking about it, they were testing a few of the same type of systems, there was another one that actually limited how fast you can go. The first was one that only allowed you to go upto the speed limit, but that was dismissed on the basis that you may have to overtake etc, and would be dangerous, the second was highly rated, which limited you to the speed of the road, but would allow you to put your foot down for a while but then gradually slow you down.

I am sure they all worked on Sat tracking and road markers etc, and wouldnt be in production for at least 10 years (thank god), and im sure that some clever git will be able to bypass it (tricking the system to say you are driving on the Autobahn would be good)

it'd be great if they limited police cars speed.
we could find a way to unrestrict our cars, place some tape over our number plates and overtake the cops with our middle finger pointing skywards!
only joking

Craig you are almost right. What you read is somethig similar to this.

The UK government and Max Mosley (FIA president) are working on a great idea, which for us is not great at all. Ironically, the idea is coming from Formula One.

In formula one, it is planned that the safety car will be phased out and instead the FIA board will have control over the speed limit of each and every racing car. In certain yellow flag situations, the FIA will instantly take control over all the cars' ECU's and impose a speed limit of say 45mph. When the danger is over they will release the speed limit, obviously all at the same time.

On the road, there will be something similar. :( :(

When you enter a say 30mph zone, a satellite will detect your cars' whereabouts and will instantly lock your cars' ECU at a maximum 30mph or less. Oh sh!t. Yes, thats really bad news. There is no freedom in it. Its dictatorship.

The future doesnt look good peoplz.

The Bravo...different day, different sh!t :)

Re: Re: Re: I fought the law and the law won!

If they do that i'll just drive my 1972 no ecu, no electronic anything, no crumple zones, no airbags, no emissions test, no catalyst, twin SU, twin exhaust, backfires on overrun MGB. :)

There is something satisfying about decelerating towards a set of trafic lights with the engine popping, crackling and banging.