Starting your car

Currently reading:
Starting your car

D

Dave K

This may soun a bit idiotic but how do most of you start your car in the morning?

do turn the ignition key and press the accelerator at the same time?

or do you just turn the ignition?

Which is more detrimental to the car?

I find that i need to press the accelerator whilst turning the key

Any views on this?

Hi,
u should'nt have 2 depress ur accellerater bcos ur
E.C.U has already compansated 4 the cold start.
Regards.

exrovermech

Re: Re: Starting your car

I just turn the key. No pedals involved!

Andy

Starting

Turn the key and depress the clutch. That way you are not churning the gearbox as well. The ECU sorts everything else out.

I go along with Ben

Depress the clutch, turn the key, if you have to blip the throttle, just do it gently, once its ticking over, away you go......not forgetting to check the rear view mirors and side veiw mirrors, plus looking over your shoulder..lol.

I always park with the car in gear as well, in first gear if facing up hill, in reverse gear if facing down hill

starting

Mine wont start without a dab of the throttle - just turns and eventually floods! is that bad - idles and runs fine once its started tho

Re: starting

B careful cos when it floods it can soak ur cat in fuel & burn it out.
Regards

exrovermech

I read this somewhere!

can't remember where i read it, but Fiat actually claim that the best way to start the engine is by putting the clutch in and turning the key. This applies to all Fiat cars. Like i say, can't remember where I read it, but i have heard from other people that this is true.

Just thought you would like to know!

Starting

Yes, you should always depress the clutch when starting. This lightens the load on the starter motor and reduces battery drain as you have fully disengaged the gearbox.

John

throttle on start

HI,new to this board dont want to tell you guys how to go on and thatyou all seem good guys but the answer to your question is let the car start on its own.The reason is on all new fiats there is a stepper motor in the ecu that is more or less a choke this works off engine temp and vacuum in system so if you press throttle the vacuum increase dramaticly there for sending wrong signals back to ecu so even though it will start your injector light on dash will stay on longer,spark plugs and valves get clogged up and catalytic convertor gets shafted.But a good excuse to decat it.

Re: throttle on start

Dave,

dont touch that throttle whilst firing up. If you have to, then there is definitely something wrong with the automatic choke incorporated in the ECU. That trick used to work with mufch older cars that needed help to pump fuel into the carbureauttor.