rear brake adjustment

Currently reading:
rear brake adjustment

P

paul smith

Bravo 1.4SX (1996)

How do I remove the rear brake drum to check the shoes?
do i undo the large nut in the centre of the drum. does anyone have any pictures/ hints.
Thanks in advance.

brake drums

According to the Haynes manual there are two studs in the drum to hold it in place, once these are removed you slacken the handbrake cable off and remove the drum. In my experience this never happens and you spend four hours with a mallet trying to loosen things up. The large nut under the dust cover holds the hub and bearing in place, it is torqued to over 200 ft lbs so I'd leave that alone.

Untitled

Steve
Thanks for the useful and time saving (about three months to remove the large nut).
Any hints on how to adjust the hanbrake. I assume I adjust the nut on the end the cable behind the access hole. How do I ensure the cable doesnt turn?
Thanks again

handbrake

You need to chock the front wheels, jack the rear up and support on stands. The handbrake cable adjustment nut is located inside the car, under the gator around the handbrake. To adjust it seems you should slacken the nut with the handbrake off then pump the brake pedal at least 30 times to operate the self adjusters then pull the handbrake up 3 clicks and then retighten the nut. The handbrake should then hold at this position. The engine must be running while you pump the pedal to keep the servo working. Also check for binding of the brakes with the handbrake released by spinning the wheels by hand. Hope this is all clear.

Untitled

Steve
Spot on - cheers again.
Looks like the brakes are faulty....it worked briefly then the handbrake pulled up (slipped)and one side would not hold. It looks like the adjuster(rachet) is slipping- does this sound likely?