how do you know when cambelt is suffering the famous fiat cambelt problem??

Currently reading:
how do you know when cambelt is suffering the famous fiat cambelt problem??

J

jon

ok guys this bravo cambelt thing is now starting to worry me! Ive just found this site and am horrified by all these bravo cambelt problems. Ive owned a bravo 1.8 hlx for the last 10 months (may 98 44 000 miles) Really impressed had no problems but ive noticed the car has always seemed a bit strange sounding at idle, is this the same with all 1.8's. It makes a slight squeeking noise when it has warmed up. Never bothered me before but it does just a bit right now!

What the tell tale sign that there is a problem?? cheers guys any info, advise and opinions would be appreciated. Also how much does the change cost??

thanks Jon

Any warnings?

This is your warning! Some experience a worn bearing noise, with others it happens too fast to know. In seconds your engine is wrecked. The solution is simple. Get down to Fiat Dealers and get them to check whether you have the modified tensioner. If not then get it fitted fast. Cost? Look back in this forum. It's certainly under an hundred pounds fitted. Engine wreck? £1000 plus and your engine will never be the same.
Nice to have a choice!

That's the warning alright

Jon

Brian is spot on there. This is precisley what happened to my 1.4 sx. A whining/ squeaking noise coming from the cambelt area when the car was warm (after about 10 minutes). I had just bought the car used and my mechanic friend was go going it with a fine toothcombe when I got it home and luckily he spotted this. After 4 visits to my dealer who claimed to hear nothing I eventually had to sit outside until the car had warmed up and march into get the service manager out to point this noise out to him. I had a 1 month warranty with the dealer as is standard on their second hand cars. When I returned to pick it up they had fitted a new timing belt, tensioner and water pump. Knowing how mean my local dealer is I'm convinced it would have to have been a serious problem for the miserable sods to carry out all of this work. Get yourself down to the dealer ASAP.

Good luck

CM

cambelt

i've just had my cambelt changed with a new tensioner (1996 hlx 34000 miles) cost at main dealer 165 notes all in .

Back