General Hammerite rust removal gel

Currently reading:
General Hammerite rust removal gel

jamiet1992

Ay up guys

Just a quick one

Im looking at painting my calipers and drums, they are rusty, pretty thick rust too!
Has anybody used hammerite rust removal gel and if so, does it bring it pretty much back to new metal?

Also....if it took all the rust off so it was back to bare metal, would caliper paint stick to it?

Thanks in advance

Ay up guys

Just a quick one

Im looking at painting my calipers and drums, they are rusty, pretty thick rust too!
Has anybody used hammerite rust removal gel and if so, does it bring it pretty much back to new metal?

Also....if it took all the rust off so it was back to bare metal, would caliper paint stick to it?

Thanks in advance

Much easier and cheaper to use a wire brush, then follow it up with some sandpaper. Degrease and then paint.

Does it matter what sandpaper it is? And are you degreasing it with brake cleaner?

Most rust removal products are convertors which turn iron oxide into iron phosphate which is a white powdery substance which can be easily removed. They also have sealing agents which then protect the treated metal from the air so it won't rust any further, or at least allow you time enough to get some paint on it.

You usually need to wire brush everything first to remove any loose debris then treat.
I'd recommend jenolite as its what most companies use as well as the MOD so it's fairly well respected.

You can do it without rust treatment and most people do but then the paint won't last as well and can flake off.

I used a sanding disc on the drums to bring all the rust off, its looking alot better!
Hammerite just didnt do anything, maybe its just me not using it right but...
Metal is smooth now, very smooth....will i need to wack some primer on them before painting them now?

Back