Off Topic New Wheels

Currently reading:
Off Topic New Wheels

andybear

Having recieved our new Panda Lounge I have just bought a pair of new wheels to have 'winter' tyres fitted. Fiat wanted €256 (we live in France) I have just bought a pair of 'PLATiN P53' wheels on the 'net for €85 each and while they are not exact matches the're pretty close. ( Strangly the Lounge here comes with 14'' wheel not15 like the UK )

Most tyre experts will recommend fitting all 4 wheels with winter tyres. Although fitting them on the front will improve traction, the rear will be unbalanced & can lose grip at the back on corners. As safety can't really be put into £ or €, I'd always go for 4 winters to be on the safe side.

Doubtless there will be contrary opinions but have a look at some of the tyre places recommendations. (y)

Last edited:
If you have to put only 2 winter tyres on, i'd personally put them on the rear

I did that for when i first got them
Winter on rear - Well worn summers on fronts (surprising well done too)

But it means
Should you need to brake - the rears can work at there best, preventing rear end lock ups

Cornering you will tend to understeer which is much more controllable - but in snow its still tricky

Thats my 2p worth

But tbh winter tyres SHOULD be in 4's

Ziggy

When you brake surely most weight moves fwd so that is where most grip should be?

When you brake surely most weight moves fwd so that is where most grip should be?

I was talking specifically about braking distance due to need the grip at the front / stopping in a straight line.

If you are in a swerve with momentum then clearly having the back spin out is a bad idea so you do need traction there.

Here is a Volvo video that supports the need for traction on the rear but forces home the point that all four tyres should be changed...

Not only that
Say you get a brake line rupture, and you've lost your brake pedal

You are left with only 50% Braking if its a split system, which most cars are

Only 1 front and 1 rear on oppersites will work
In the middle of the car is a magical lever which makes girls clothes fall off
But it also helps in this emergency situation allowing the "dead" wheel to now also brake

So there are now 2x rear wheels braking and 1 front one @50%

The rears need the grip to stop you

Ziggy

I don't like having different brands between axles as all things being equal if the dirt hits the fan I want the tyres to behave the same way. ( i know physics comes into it too)

Back