Technical Fitting a sub to stock stereo?

Currently reading:
Technical Fitting a sub to stock stereo?

aheaton22

I've just acquired a sub and am wondering if it will hook up to my stock head unit or if I'm gonna need to upgrade to get it to work. I drive a 1.9mjet sporting with the blu and me head unit. Any advise would be appreciated. Also if anyone has any routing knowledge for cables on my model that would help alot.

It won't hook straight up to the standard hu as there is no rca input. I bought a speaker level to rca converter from eBay for about £6 which works nicely if you want to keep the standard hu, which I did because I'm not a fan of the look of aftermarket hus.

I ran the cable behind the dash, over passenger footwell and under the plastic sil. Then under the rear seats to the boot, dead simple!

The guy who gave it me said the amp gets its power strait from the battery, so I was thinking more about the cable from the bonnet area into the cabin. Not had aftermarket stereo equipment before so apologies if I'm wrong about stuff!

Depends on the inputs you have on the sub/amp.
If you have phono connectors, then you'll require an RCA convertor.
You'll have to tap in to a speaker feed to connect this.

If you have high input connectors, then tap a speaker feed and wire straight in (No RCA reqd)

Either way, you'll need a speaker tap. I found removing the radio and splicing in from the back was easiest in the end.

Run the live wire from the battery through the bulkhead rubber elbow (right hand side) and through the plastic sill covers.
You'll need a switched live which is only live with from auxilary. That way, you can't accidentally leave it switched on and flatten the battery.
You'll get a switched live from the cigarette socket.

Yeah, same sort of thing that I've used. It will work but see if you can find a smaller one and without the adjustable gain switches.

There isn't much room behind the hu to put them and the switches are ****e quality but otherwise it does it's job properly.

As Keat said, power goes through the rubber grommet in the bulkhead. If you look at the right of the car as you face it, the grommet is under the scuttle panel. You'll see a black flexi pipe full of cables, feed it through there, comes out over passenger footwell.

Ok, nearly ready to install just waitingvfor a couple of partsvto arrI've ( high to low converter, and in line fuse holder). just a couple of things to clear up before I commence. My only grey area is the rear speaker feed to the high low converter. Do I re route the positive and negative to the converter effectively removing signal to the rear speakers or do I tap into the wires so signal still goes to rear speakers and high to low converter.
I purchased a adjustable high low converter to make sure limits ect can be set if required.
the next thing is ( really showing my knowledge here) my amp is 350w, and the sub is a Sony xplod 1200w, what does this mean for performance? (don't forget I was given this kit from a friend who used it years ago before you hang me) should I be using a better amp?
last thing is would I be better to power the speakers in the car from the amp? All factory speakers fitted at the moment?
bit of a long one Soz!

1. high to low converter: not sure on this one with regards to using rears, I just wired it into the back of the HU were the front speaker wires normally go then ran new wires from the amp to the speakers. For the sub I got RCA splitters and ran it off the fronts again.

2. Careful with those adjustable ones, the screws on mine are shocking quality, turn them gently and not too far!

3. That 1200w of the sub will be a max reading, ignore it. You need the RMS. Check the amps RMS too as that 350w may also be a max. So long as you don't turn it up so loud the amp is struggling you'll be fine. I have mine set to less than half gain on the amp.

Back