General Hand brake

Currently reading:
General Hand brake

cookie88

Hi, my cinquecento's handbrake is on the last click could anyone tell me how to go about sorting it out. Many thanks

Generally cento handbrakes are crappy anyways but try strip clean grease and adjust of rear shoes.

Adjustment is under he car, in front of the petrol tank.

Most important thing is to make sure the shoes still have 3mm + of meat on them and that the adjuster "elbows" have not seized up.

Exploded diagrams in the Seicento Technical Manual (Downloads) -- same basic brake system, but adjustment is different. Haynes is fairly useful, too.

As the others have said free up the handbrake elbows and put copper grease on the joints. Then adjust the cable. Got 25% on most recent NCT test (Irish mot) best ever for a cinq. Shoes need to be perfect.

Also, take the drums off and lever the shoes out on their friction adjusters until the drum only just clears.

Cinq handbrakes don't have to be rubbish.
Properly adjusted they will impress your MOT man.

Yeah I have been under (had to jack up as im deffo not skinny) and it's maxed out

in that case its 99% going to be seized actuators at the back - to get them off you need to drop the drum off so while you are there check condition of drums and shoes. Have a check that hte wheel cylinders are not weeping as well while your there.

New actuators are not expensive but its only a little bit of work to clean them up and lube them with some copper slip or silicone grease.

If (or rather: "when") you replace the handbrake cable, spend some time running some engine oil inside the cable until it drips out of the other end.
Makes a nice difference to how the handbrake feels and will keep it working well too.
Most garages will never do that as it takes too long.

Cable was greased and new, should be ok - as were the rear links. You can take up adjustment by moving the handbrake lever itself - look under the carpet and it's held down with 4 x M8 (13mm socket) bolts. Slide it forward to tighten things up.

Back