General Welcome to your world...

Currently reading:
General Welcome to your world...

Evening all

After 7 1/2 years with me (and so 9 1/2 years old), I have taken the plunge and chosen to replace my little red 2005 4x4. It had covered 135,000 mostly trouble free miles, and been a hoot to drive around in, both on- and off-road. I had a few big bills -- clutch being the biggest, but also avoided a lot of others with most of the routine maintenance and some bigger jobs too being done by me. This meant I could share some of the tricks learned along the way (fixing the heater control lights and tailgate switch amongst them, which seem to have been helpful to many here)

Although sound in the body and good in the engine department, pretty well every rubber bit holding the engine, gearbox, propshaft and rear diff was failing. And that was the 'crunch' point: the rear diff supports are very very expensive, the propshaft itself was in need of overhaul (failed centre mount but also, after a worn internal seal, the 'spider' at the engine end was not in good shape either), and it had developed an annoying tendency to misfire if demanding too much of it below 2000rpm. The drivers seat was starting to fray too...

Thinking 'can I fix it' or should I move on, during an 'online flick' through Autotrader I spotted something I couldn't resit...

So, what replaces the 2005 Panda 4x4?

Well, the answer's obvious: a new , white Panda 4x4, with the Multijet this time. Nine months old and 6k on the clock, it was the dealer's demo model at a good price. It's great. Smoother, faster, more comfortable, has aircon (really the only thing missing from the previous car). 57mpg so far as well. And even TopGear like it. Bring on the snow. (I've already tried the mud and gravel on a nearby byway. Verdict? at least as good as the old one, but without the harsh ride. Engine braking rather better with the diesel too)

Pete

Last edited:
Nice one Pete.

There are a few of us immigrants from the other forum now!

After a few years with our old and much loved 1.1 Active, we pushed the boat out, the Mrs swapped that for a 1.2 Lounge and I decided on a 4x4 Ta Antarctica and we haven't looked back, much.

The cabin is lot nicer place to be in except I find the seat a little short under the thigh after a couple of hours, ride feels smoother and tighter and it's lost some of it's utilitarian looks on the outside.
Funny really as this basicness was something I admired the old one for and I do miss the cigar shaped stalks.

One of two of us have had a go in the dirt, both 4x4 and Trekking, mine seems very good, the compactness and agility leave owners of the bigger stuff gobsmacked, but I find the nose a little too low, particularly in or across rutted tracks or departing a decent, the spiltter under there is fairly flexible, but it does catch quite often.

I also always manage to end up with gritty, noisy front brakes after a little off road action, I've cleaned and regreased them twice now in a few months, but no doubt they'll be back.

but I find the nose a little too low
Yes, the new car is slighty lower - the TwinAir has 150mm ground clearance, the MultiJet 160mm.The sump hangs slightly lower on the TA engine (previous model had 165mm). The new nose is 'squarer' - and of course that's what they 'chop off' in the new Cross. Not really tried too much off road yet...

Hello again Pete - I too made it over here about 3 weeks ago, but have been on holiday (still am) and haven't 'fessed up about it yet. My 2006 4x4 threw a massive hissy fit back in May (soe 4 months and 4000miles since the supercharger broke and I returned the car to standard) and simply wouldn't run properly under any sort of load and it was pretty much undriveable. I changed every sensor going, checked all ECU wiring and even had the ECU tested, which said No Fault Found. Car still ran like a pig most of the time. Eventually I bit the bullet ad sourced a new ECU (less than £400, fortunately) which cured the problem......... for about a week, before the engine light came on again. Cleaned everything again (lambdas etc), reset the light and it kinda drove OK for the next 2 weeks. But faith was lost and I PX'd it for a Tuscany Green 4x4 TA, 5 months old with 2000 miles. Very very happy with it, I must say.

In fact quite looking forward to getting back from holiday to get to drive it again and do some personalisation bits to it, as is my want. Might not supercharge this one though!!

Back