Technical Cold start problem

Currently reading:
Technical Cold start problem

georgeago

I own a Fiat coupe 2.0 20v turbo plus which I purchased in September 1999 new from an authorised dealer of Fiat Hellas (Greece).
The motor No.175A300
Chassis No. ZFA175000P0068780
I keep the car in excellent mechanical condition.
The mileage in kilometers is 95700 (about 59800 miles).
Recently I face the following problem when starting the engine in the morning it starts but the revs are low and as soon as I try to pull away it conks out and if I try to restart the engine I have to crank the engine several times and it turns sluggishly and finally with a little help of the accelerator it starts and I have to hold the revs above idle for at least five minutes of until it reaches a medium temperature.
I would appreciate some help

Maybe the water temperature sensor should be reading hotter than real? The fans are starting at normal temperature or before?
Thank you very much for your suggestion I will check the sensor and see if this is the prkblem,and come back to you.
Best regards George

Perhaps the idle actuator or throttle body. It may be that only a cleaning fix it, or else intake leaks.

If not solve it would be better to use a scanner.[/QUOTE

Thanks again throttle has been cleaned and scanner does not show faulty idle valve.
The workshop has removed all five injectors and has sent them to a special workshop which will test their functionality as you said there seems to be a leakage which floods the engine during the night hence problems when starting.
If some injectors are defective then the cost will be high unless we find used ones that function.*

Thanks again throttle has been cleaned and scanner does not show faulty idle valve.
The workshop has removed all five injectors and has sent them to a special workshop which will test their functionality as you said there seems to be a leakage which floods the engine during the night hence problems when starting.
If some injectors are defective then the cost will be high unless we find used ones that function.*
So, good luck!

So, good luck!
<br />
All injectors are OK and they also replaced a couple of ignition coils problem still remains.<br />
Now they came to the conclusion that during the major engine repair which they effected in July/August of this year they may have slightly damaged the timing gear of the crankshaft (they fitted a second hand crankshaft which was in perfect condition)<br />
Or alternatively and most likely one one more valve tappets are not working well when engine is cold <br />
Their suggestion is that I drive the car for a few thousand kilometers and the tappets will self correct.<br />
In any case they take full responsibility if they have to take engine apart again and they with bear all cost.<br />
Note:<br />
Since the engine repair I have only driven 1500 kilometers o.e. less than 1000 miles.<br />
I am suspicious of the idle control valve which is very costly but I found an aftermarket on ebay which costs 87€ including postage.<br />
<br />
I think I will order it and try it<br />
<br />the eBay add is the following what for you think
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Idle-Air-Control-Valve-ALFA-ROMEO-FIAT-KIA-LANCIA-0280140553-/350650188003

Last edited:
<br />
All injectors are OK and they also replaced a couple of ignition coils problem still remains.<br />
Now they came to the conclusion that during the major engine repair which they effected in July/August of this year they may have slightly damaged the timing gear of the crankshaft (they fitted a second hand crankshaft which was in perfect condition)<br />
Well, that you still had not spoken

I own a Fiat coupe 2.0 20v turbo plus which I purchased in September 1999 new from an authorised dealer of Fiat Hellas (Greece).
The motor No.175A300
Chassis No. ZFA175000P0068780
I keep the car in excellent mechanical condition.
The mileage in kilometers is 95700 (about 59800 miles).
Recently I face the following problem when starting the engine in the morning it starts but the revs are low and as soon as I try to pull away it conks out and if I try to restart the engine I have to crank the engine several times and it turns sluggishly and finally with a little help of the accelerator it starts and I have to hold the revs above idle for at least five minutes of until it reaches a medium temperature.
I would appreciate some help

This sounds like an idle control valve problem. ;)
Don't rely on scanner. There will be no error for stuck ICV sometimes...
Replace it with another working unit and test.

Last edited:
This sounds like an idle control valve problem. ;)
Don't rely on scanner. There will be no error for stuck ICV sometimes...
Replace it with another working unit and test.
Thank you very much I am going to import an aftermarket idle valve since original ones are very expensive what do you think of the following????

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Idle-Air-Control-Valve-ALFA-ROMEO-FIAT-KIA-LANCIA-0280140553-/350650188003

We changed the idle valve but problem perists .
The workshop says that it may be a problem with one or more valve tappets.
They repaired the engine in August of this year cylinder head valve seats and replaced piston rings crankshaft and timing gear of crankshaft and all bushings since one of tjevbushings of crankshaft was damages.
They say that because of this damage on or more of the tappets does not function when engine is cold.
They suggest that I drive the car at high speed on a long trip and that this could auto correct the tappet/tappets.
Otherwise they will have to remove the cinder head and check.

They say that perhaps the spring of a hydraulic lifter does not function until the engine warms up

We changed the idle valve but problem perists .
The workshop says that it may be a problem with one or more valve tappets.
They repaired the engine in August of this year cylinder head valve seats and replaced piston rings crankshaft and
timing gear of crankshaft and all bushings since one of tjevbushings of crankshaft was damages.
They say that because of this damage on or more of the tappets does not function when engine is cold.
They suggest that I drive the car at high speed on a long trip and that this could auto correct the tappet/tappets.
Otherwise they will have to remove the cinder head and check.

22/12/2014 The repair shop found the solution to the problem a couple of weeks ago
They said that The cylinder head when repaired last august apparently the valve seats were reamed too much and as a result the valves did not seat properly leaving a gap.
So they now shortened the valve stems by removing 6/10 of a millimeter from the top and problem was solved .

I have a problem with my speedometer the needle occasionally works and then stops sometimes it starts working at very high speeds with correct indications other times it shows wrong indications.
The numerical indications are absolutely correct total and daily.
Do I need a new tacho or can it be fixed ?

Back