image2884.jpg

Panda (Classic) Perry the Panda

Introduction

Like all good addicts, I fall off the wagon every so often. I've been in remission for quite a while, but have lapsed I'm afraid..... :eek:

So, may I introduce Perry the Panda! :woot:

Perry is a Selecta, bought blind off good old fleabay. He's been named after the last owner, and I think he looks like a Perry? (y)

In theory he's for my friend to use as a business advertising tool. ;) As Andrew put it, I hope it's a bit scraggy or you won't let me have it..... Hmm, well he knows me quite well - it's mine all mine...... :yum: Well I have paid for it & insured it. :D

Quite a few pics are below. There are quite a lot of scratches, some of which (e.g. the ones down the n/s where it's brushed a hedge) I hope will polish out - the worst bits though are further down the page.

Outside - isn't he cute?!

Inside - ignore the spare parts cluttering up the footwell! Steering wheel cover already binned!

Under bonnet:

I don't think this scrape will polish out, but I hope to make it look better:

Bumper a bit battered - no idea how an elephant sat on it from the direction of the headlight?! :confused: One "chrome" bar missing - anyone got one?

New horn push needed, as someone has melted and chewed the old one! :rolleyes: And yes that's the right mileage..... :slayer:

So there he is - needs a good polish and tidy, but very little rust. Just a few flakey bits under the lip of the rear wheel arches needing attention before they become sinister - no obvious rust on the doors, bootlid or bonnet. :worship: Seems to drive well, although poor old Perry got a bit of a shock when I started driving, as I am pretty sure he's been pottering around at 20mph rather than sitting on the outside lane of the M5! ;)

I think this post is plenty long enough..... :eek:
Looks a nice clean little car :) Its possible its had a slight prang that caused the bumper to be bent a bit. You can see the paint has flaked on the slam panel behind the headlight where its been bent abit.

Looks a nice clean little car :) Its possible its had a slight prang that caused the bumper to be bent a bit. You can see the paint has flaked on the slam panel behind the headlight where its been bent abit.

Thanks - yes it's as clean as most get! (y)

The last owner thinks his neighbour hit it with her Range Rover while "parking" it, but she never owned up! There's no obvious damage apart from the bumper - it's just weird damage for a Panda bumper, as they usually bend lower down & break the brackets - I guess if you hit a Panda with a land yacht it's going to be higher up? It looks like something has gone over the main part of the bumper and sat on it - so maybe my elephant guess wasn't far from the truth. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of scuffs around it - a typical 2 elderly owner low speed dodgem really!

Last edited:
Had this on my watch list -- although was never going to buy it... -- as it looked a good example. Glad it went to a good home...! :worship:

I'm glad you weren't bidding on it - had a horrible feeling someone might have been as it didn't get listed under auction watch (unusual these days!).
homeward this is available for shows etc if you need to borrow one (much like the Uno). (y) Don't be afraid to ask, and also speak to me if you need to find one to buy in the future. ;)

I'm glad you weren't bidding on it - had a horrible feeling someone might have been as it didn't get listed under auction watch (unusual these days!).

Just been too busy to list everything, I'm afraid -- and wasn't so sure if anyone was keen on Selectas, any more, after the recent batch of failures.... :eek:

homeward this is available for shows etc if you need to borrow one (much like the Uno). (y) Don't be afraid to ask, and also speak to me if you need to find one to buy in the future. ;)

Thank you, kind sir! :worship:

Hal has a spare second-hand clutch and brushes to be fitted (at some time in the next decade...); and VmanC and I were debating just changing the "iron filings" over, as well -- if the clutch is easy to disassemble -- as a possible solution (my feeling/guess being that the powder gets cloggy and lumpy, with age... -- and this may be all it takes... -- we shall see...). :rolleyes:

Just been too busy to list everything, I'm afraid -- and wasn't so sure if anyone was keen on Selectas, any more, after the recent batch of failures.... :eek:

Thank you, kind sir! :worship:

Hal has a spare second-hand clutch and brushes to be fitted (at some time in the next decade...); and VmanC and I were debating just changing the "iron filings" over, as well -- if the clutch is easy to disassemble -- as a possible solution (my feeling/guess being that the powder gets cloggy and lumpy, with age... -- and this may be all it takes... -- we shall see...). :rolleyes:

No problem! (y)

Yes I'll be interested in hearing the solution. This is of interest for the Uno too, which is still the same & feels ok, but....... Having driven Perry back from Bristol, it's very clear that the Uno box is not working right! :cry: As I'm slightly off my own topic ( :eek: ) I spotted a new Uno Selecta clutch on Italian Ebay - not cheap but I fear I may be pleased that I invested in it later. :rolleyes:

I'm quite keen on having a selecta just got a bit full of other cars at the moment. ;)

The laws of Pandanomics say that for every rotten one (or two) you have the next one will be better (by comparison at least anyway) well done to Gavin for having a go!

The Selecta's are quite odd, but I like them (bit of misquoting Dick Emery there!).

As I don't like automatics, this came as something of a surprise to me!! ;) One thing is for sure though, I'll never be beguiled by Dr Diesel's evil invention! :yuck:

I have a horn push and steering wheel that came off Fizzle - doubt it will ever go back on now - only problem is removal men stacked all the stuff when I was away so probably will take me until the next move to find it.
It's yours if you can wait :)

I have a horn push and steering wheel that came off Fizzle - doubt it will ever go back on now - only problem is removal men stacked all the stuff when I was away so probably will take me until the next move to find it.
It's yours if you can wait :)

Thanks John.

I think onemanmade has kindly sorted me a grille. AndyPanda4x4 has kindly offered a horn push but it may not be the right one. If you do come across it panda panda please let me know (y)

Isn't this forum great - even when people don't think it's the right part they offer to try to help. :worship:

A Selecta :woot: :slayer:

Glad to hear you've converted Andrew.... next step for him now is a 2nd Panda :devil:

I think he needs to learn a bit about Panda's before moving on to a second.

Taking his kids out at the weekend he found a broken rear seatbelt which wouldn't buckle. I've suggested looking for the 3rd belt (which I'm sure will be in the boot or under the seat) and putting the belt into the right buckle (the outside ones won't buckle into the centre one as you probably know). Either I'm going to look REALLY stupid if it's only got 2 belts for some reason, or I can pull his leg about it for the next couple of years! :devil:

The biggest problem I have is that I really want to be driving Perry & he's 60 miles away in Cheltenham! :( Before someone says it, yes, I probably need another Selecta!!! :idea: :D

Hi Gavin, I thought I'd reply here as my add is no longer in existence :)
Perry is the Selecta I was thinking of and looks to be a lovely car, and that green is one of my absolute favourites on a panda (y) I'll have a look in the cellar and see if I've got a grill with a chrome strip on for you. I'm sure there's one in there somewhere!

Hi Gavin, I thought I'd reply here as my add is no longer in existence :)
Perry is the Selecta I was thinking of and looks to be a lovely car, and that green is one of my absolute favourites on a panda (y) I'll have a look in the cellar and see if I've got a grill with a chrome strip on for you. I'm sure there's one in there somewhere!

Thanks Jamie.

I'm sure he needs some work, but "smarter than your average bear" I think. If anyone doesn't know what that's from, your childhood was sadly lacking! ;)

I am now sorted on the grille bars, but thanks for all the offers. Extra special thanks to Cameron onemanmade for the grille you sent. :worship: I've only just got it unwrapped as someone collected it from the post office for me (I was out a grand total of about 3 hours last week, and the courier chose that moment to deliver - or not deliver more accurately! :rolleyes: Really really appreciate it Cameron (hope the wedding went ok by the way (y) ) - please let me know if you want reimbursing for postage or a donation to Pinky - otherwise I think you are probably storing up favours in lieu of parts you may need later! :slayer:

Still need the horn push (possibly, though Andy kindly offered one which may or may not fit - it's a later wheel), and maybe a front bumper at some point (that's not so easy to change though, so I might stop looking at it & pretend it's ok.....).

P.S. As the new grille's been painted already I might try colour coding it if there are no howls of disapproval! In the meantime I'll either put the whole grille in, or whip a chrome bar off temporarily.

Last edited:
Back