Technical Electric Power steering problems W reg ELX

Currently reading:
Technical Electric Power steering problems W reg ELX

yerbutnobutyer

Got a BIG problem. One day the power steering just failed out of the blue. Took it to fiat they wanted £589.33 after i finished laughing i took it to a garage and they said if i get a second hand power steering unit he will fit it for £50. Part was £120. Bargain. But the only part i could find was of a 53 plate so i think this mite be off a mark 3. When the garage fitted the part the power steering wouldn't work. Is the power steering unit different on a 53 plate or could it be a faulty part. Help i just aint got a clue!!!! :bang:

Evidently there are 2 types of power steering shaft for the Mark 2, and yet another for the Mark 3. Check them out at Shop4parts.co.uk where they are all shown with prices. If you email them your chassis number they will tell you which part you require for your Punto.

I have fitted a re-manufactured unit to 1.2 W Reg ELX recently with no problems.

hiya, mine has failed twice now, once when going round a roundabout and once in a carpark!!!does or did your steering wheel gring before giving up??

i have just been told that if you use city mode to park and then leave it on whilst you turn off your car it burns out the motor causing the power steering to completely fail! hell wish someone had told me that before i got mine - my advice dont go near the city button!

MikeSalt said:
My solution: trade car for mk1 S or SX Punto. Pocket the difference. No power steering = no problem.

And inherit cyl head gaskets going,immobiliser problems & rear suspension problems...'swings & roundabouts' mate.
However I had early mk1 punto,no electric anything except the clock...nothing went wrong cause the car didn't have anything:D

T14086 said:
I heard the sky was gonna full in today:rolleyes:

Rachel use your city button as much as you want whoever told you that is talking nonsense.

This has just happened to me. Last Saturday night I parked the car in a really tight space for which I used the 'City'. When I went to re-use the car later, I swithched on the ignition and the steering bulb lighted up.
The next day i tried it again in the morning and in the afternoon but to no avail. At night i tried it again, and voila it worked with no problems.
Two days later it happened again. Tomorrow I will take it to the garage.

By the way I also had cylinder head gasket problems and other things that mulfunctioned.

F ix
I t
A gain
T omorrow

:bang: (n)

cjes said:
This has just happened to me. Last Saturday night I parked the car in a really tight space for which I used the 'City'. When I went to re-use the car later, I swithched on the ignition and the steering bulb lighted up.
The next day i tried it again in the morning and in the afternoon but to no avail. At night i tried it again, and voila it worked with no problems.
Two days later it happened again. Tomorrow I will take it to the garage.

This might be of help (dont forget problem battery voltage aswell)...

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-guides/70703-punto-steering-column.html

Back