Technical How do the starter cable clamps secure

Currently reading:
Technical How do the starter cable clamps secure

Hi Peter,
I am not sure which one you mean, but presume its the fixing between where it comes through the floor hole and is secured to the rear floor before it attaches to the starter?
if so here are the photos I have. 1st one is a bit blurred.
Last one is of my 500D.

I cant see a hole on the L and I think it was held up by a fastening tab welded to the floor. But the D has a fixing.

I will crawl under their later and take a better look.

Attachments

• IMG_4060.JPG
    IMG_4060.JPG
    412.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6207.JPG
    IMG_6207.JPG
    447.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6208.JPG
    IMG_6208.JPG
    538.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6206.JPG
    IMG_6206.JPG
    492.5 KB · Views: 67
Well the good news Peter it is not above the gearbox. :D it is level with the top of it, which could make it awkward to get it back in.(n)

The first picture is taken from inside the engine bay. You can just see the silver self tapper head level with the gearbox inspection lid.

In the second this is a bit closer up. The blue is the mount on the rear suspension that the suspension arm bolts to, you can see the heating pipe to the right. On the left is the bracket which I am pretty sure clamps the starter motor cable and the positive lead to the battery to the mount. It was hard enough to get a camera in there let alone fingers. I think the only way you can get to it maybe through the engine bay but they maybe a bit of cursing from constantly dropping the self tapper.:bang:

Hi Peter,
I am not sure which one you mean, but presume its the fixing between where it comes through the floor hole and is secured to the rear floor before it attaches to the starter?
if so here are the photos I have. 1st one is a bit blurred.
Last one is of my 500D.

I cant see a hole on the L and I think it was held up by a fastening tab welded to the floor. But the D has a fixing.

I will crawl under their later and take a better look.

On Sean's second and third picture you can see the hole over on the right hand side at the top of the suspension mount.

Tony is correct with his location for the screw. Slightly different fixing on the D model.
If I remember right it was actually a screw with a hexagonal head on it so you can use a small socket.

Tony is correct with his location for the screw. Slightly different fixing on the D model.
If I remember right it was actually a screw with a hexagonal head on it so you can use a small socket.

You are correct Sean. 8mm to be sadly precise.:rolleyes:

I haven't had time for all this banter. But thanks to you both for pointing me in the right direction. I was so keen to get this done that I didn't even jack up the car. How is it that I can get under such a small vehicle? It's handy that the pull cable sort of lines everything up with the hole. I had the hex screw and was as shocked as Sean was at seeing the scruffy article on Tony's car. ;)
I had the thing in place at one point but removed to g

ive more slack on the battery cable. Obviously best advice is to secure this cable before fitting the engine but then you might get the cable position wrong

Last edited:
Back