Styling 500l mpw speedometer

Currently reading:
Styling 500l mpw speedometer

suevm

I have one complaint about my 5 day old 500L MPW.........I find the speedometer is obscured by the steering wheel! I know the wheel is adjustable, as is the driver's seat, but even when set at extremes, it is not in clear view.
The obstruction is also on the top left edge of the dial - just the bit I need to see most. I find I have to dip my head down and shuffle to the right to see it clearly. Most annoying!
Has anyone else found this to be a problem?

Pretty common problem for most Fiat 500l owners.I just managed somehow to adjust the steering wheel and the seat so the speedometer can mostly be seen...One detail that Italian designers overlooked,unfortunately for us...

I only run on the very visible digital speedo in the middle of the display screen.

I have one complaint about my 5 day old 500L MPW.........I find the speedometer is obscured by the steering wheel! I know the wheel is adjustable, as is the driver's seat, but even when set at extremes, it is not in clear view.
The obstruction is also on the top left edge of the dial - just the bit I need to see most. I find I have to dip my head down and shuffle to the right to see it clearly. Most annoying!
Has anyone else found this to be a problem?

Shorter drivers like my wife seem to find this less of a problem, but it does seem to be a bit of a design flaw to make it so difficult to get the seat height and steering wheel position to a point where it's less of a problem but not totally eradicated.

We do a lot of long journey's in ours that we use our Garmin Sat Nav for, this of course has a (much more accurate) speedo on it along with a warning if you are currently exceeding the limit of the road you are currently driving on, so that helps.

But really it shouldn't have been a problem if it had been thought through correctly by those that designed the interior.

It certainly needs rectifying when any updated model comes out.

It is a pain not being able to see the dial correctly and it was something I did realise, the wife it seems being a bit shorter than me has no issue with it whatsoever, I guess if your short not much problem lol

I also noticed this.
I adjusted the driver seat pretty high, then it was easier to get a good riding position and still see the speedo.
If i adjust the seat to low, I need to put the steering wheel way to high to see anything.

Yes, we have same problem. Because we are not so tall, we have adjusted the seat forward and in lowest position. Steeringwheel in highest position and only the middle part of speedometer and revmeter are visible. In my easy execution no additional digital display in the centre. For longer trips we use the additional tomtom with exact data. Could be better....

Reactions: MJG
Yes I also find it very annoying, I have two complaints about my 500l Trekking, the speedo and the length of the seat base, which I find too short. Unfortunately I didnt really notice on test drive, I like the car but will be reluctant to buy another unless these issues are fixed. :mad:

Last edited:
Hi
I have owned my 500 L since Dec 2013 and like every one found I could not see speedo properly. But when looking at the adjustments using the buttons under the radio found I could bring up the digital speedo in the center where the day and time is. Hope this helps

Phill

Hi
I have owned my 500 L since Dec 2013 and like every one found I could not see speedo properly. But when looking at the adjustments using the buttons under the radio found I could bring up the digital speedo in the center where the day and time is. Hope this helps

Phill

Not sure if I have a digital speedo option available, will have to check this out when/if I get my car back, will check in the manual at least anyway

Not sure if I have a digital speedo option available, will have to check this out when/if I get my car back, will check in the manual at least anyway
I have had a look in the handbook , there are two types of display shown but I reckon it is not a feature on the display used in the Lounge : Is this correct ?

I know people shouldn't have to do this but.....if you look at your speedo and you can't easily see the 30MPH position (UK models) easily.

Look at the needle and you will see when it's indicating 30mph the opposite end is pointing at the 130 KPH mark. If you keep it there you will not be doing more than 30 MPH, and don't have to actually see its pointing at the 30MPH mark.

A bit of a bodge and of course only applies to 30MPH yes, definitely but it works.

Back