Off Topic How fast can your Bravo go on a quiet road

Currently reading:
Off Topic How fast can your Bravo go on a quiet road

For those who like to explore the top speed of their Bravo's on private / empty public roads, consider this:

A man was killed in a crash on the A1(M) near Sawtry after a late night collision.
The single-vehicle crash happened overnight between Saturday, June 21 and Sunday June 22, on the northbound carriageway about a mile north of Sawtry.
It involved a red Audi A4 being driven by a man in his 20s from the Peterborough area. The car left the road and ended up in a ditch.
Police were called by a member of the public at just after noon on Sunday.
PC Jay Porter, who is investigating, said: “I would like to speak to anyone who saw this crash or the Audi travelling north on the A1.”
Anyone with information should contact PC Porter on 101.

The A1(M) at Sawtry is 4 lanes + hard shoulder. Obviously, the full story is not known, but I would lay money on my initial interpretation being correct.

For those who like to explore the top speed of their Bravo's on private / empty public roads, consider this:

A man was killed in a crash on the A1(M) near Sawtry after a late night collision.
The single-vehicle crash happened overnight between Saturday, June 21 and Sunday June 22, on the northbound carriageway about a mile north of Sawtry.
It involved a red Audi A4 being driven by a man in his 20s from the Peterborough area. The car left the road and ended up in a ditch.
Police were called by a member of the public at just after noon on Sunday.
PC Jay Porter, who is investigating, said: “I would like to speak to anyone who saw this crash or the Audi travelling north on the A1.”
Anyone with information should contact PC Porter on 101.

The A1(M) at Sawtry is 4 lanes + hard shoulder. Obviously, the full story is not known, but I would lay money on my initial interpretation being correct.

I really don't see the point of trying to scare people with this kind of stories.

Anyone can literally die at any moment. Right now you maybe have a cellphone with lithium ion battery in your pocket that can explode and kill you.

If you're gonna post a warning about anything that can kill anyone at anytime you've got yourself a full time job, you and a few thousand of your paranoid clones.

There's a difference between driving fast and driving irresponsibly. Yes speed does kill, but so do guns. It depends on the person who is in control. You can drive fast and do it safely.

What relevance has this post to a Bravo? Sorry, just don't see a link between an accident in an Audi and a Bravo?

I agree, this has no relevance to a Bravo whatsoever :D but maybe he's just being a Good Guy Greg and doesn't wanna see any of his fellow Bravo owners dead. Although the likelihood of having a crash JUST because you're driving fast on an empty road is very little anyways. And I'm pretty sure Bravo will stick better to the road than a heavy (non-quattro) A4 :D

My point is that there are Bravo owners who boast about how fast their cars are, claiming on private roads, or even "on the motorway in the middle of the night when there's no-one else about". Maybe Mr Audi wasn't excess speed, maybe fell asleep, maybe drunk. However, he is dead most likely for one of those reasons.

I have been unfortunate to have known 4 people killed in (separate) motor accidents. They all died through silly lapses. 4 is 4 too many to my mind. I count myself lucky not to have my dad's experience, being first on the scene of a fatal collision, and comforting a child covered in his fathers blood.

Don't expect me to agree with breaking the rules just because the road is wide, straight and empty.

Speed doesn't kill.

Inappropriate speed kills.

Dom

Agreed. I'm pretty sure 100% of the accidents where a driver was speeding and lost control of the vehicle is due to "inappropriate speed" or should I rather say the lack of better judgement, because they pushed the car beyond the conditions it could go safely. Driving fast on a open empty flat road will be safe, if the driver doesn't make any sharp turns. The same goes for a bumpy windy road, there's a certain speed where it becomes unsafe and any bump can land you up in a ditch (which happened to a friend of mine).

Yes speed can be dangerous, but I'm sure all the Bravo owners here have a good sense of judgement and will know the limit of their cars before it becomes unsafe. This isn't a Golf or Audi forum where there's a wide range if drivers that font necessarily all use their head. I find Bravo owners to be above the common Golf or Audi owners cause they made and educated choice on an awesome car that not any common person would buy. So I trust we're all beyond this sillyness of inappropriate speed

I think the risks come when normal everyday drivers choose to "give it some" if the roads are quiet.

Truth is many drivers don't possess the skill, or have very little experience of speed, so when they push it too far they end up writing the car off or worse killing themselves, not all the time of course.. But it can go wrong.

Personally I think going excessively beyond the speed limits is needless regardless of the time of day etc and really it should be left to the track to actually try and gain some real driving skills.

Correction. I see now there's a super small purple square. Ok, I'll shuttup now.

That said, I'm still missing the point of the thread. A lad in an Audi crashed and that's about all the facts present. That really doesn't tell you anything about the situation or conditions so to make any judgement or opinion surely would be pointless?

My bad then. But I can't see any reference to it being off topic. Maybe my phone is playing up and hiding bits :)

when you click reply like this it says off topic
1.JPG

or if you can see the colours all with this are off topic
1.gif

i'm not sure what you see on a phone i can just about see my phone :eek:

this section is strange, just noticed that most of the things prefixed off topic are actually about a bravo, they should be green prefixed as general :confused:

Last edited:
I really don't see the point of trying to scare people with this kind of stories.

Anyone can literally die at any moment. Right now you maybe have a cellphone with lithium ion battery in your pocket that can explode and kill you.

If you're gonna post a warning about anything that can kill anyone at anytime you've got yourself a full time job, you and a few thousand of your paranoid clones.

Exactly. And why would anyone care that much about someone they don't even know? You honestly don't, otherwise you'd be a hypocrite. The only valid point here would be not to kill anyone else while you kill yourself, which thankfully was not the case. So other than that - I can risk/take my own life the way I like and it's not anyone's business.

Plus, we've already overcrowded the planet, I don't mind some evolution at work - if you're too stupid, you don't live long enough to reproduce yourself and that's it :)

Page fifteen of the Times today a young couple in a Corsa were killed by two Audi street racers outside Manchester.

There are a few Polish and Lithuanian workers where I live and they all drive like complete tools. One was clocked at a hundred and ten miles per hour in a thirty zone. Stopped by the Police, no insurance and the car was on hire purchase. It was towed and the driver issued an NIP. He left the UK for home that weekend.

Some of the guys at work are just as bad and I asked them why and they said...

"There's no Police here. You can't drive like this in Lithuania as the Police will get you. Here is no problem".

...Norfolk Police announced today they are about to lay off a hundred and twenty staff in the latest round of cuts so the policing situation will not be any better in the future.

I did 235km/ph yesterday on the A31 to Oberhausen in my Bravo. Am I a bad person now?

Back