Technical 2014 Fiat 500 1.2 acceleration issues

Currently reading:
Technical 2014 Fiat 500 1.2 acceleration issues

Which of the following applies to you?

• Total voters

306maxi

STOP! Hammer time!
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE PARTICIPATING IN THE POLL

Due to some people having issues with relatively new 1.2 500's and Panda's I thought I'd post a poll.

Does your 500 or new shape Panda 1.2 appear to have a flat spot when pulling away as some owners have reported.

Please select the relevant response above.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is an obvious question, but does this poll cover the Aussie 2014 1.2L Panda/500 as well? Do they have the new euro emissions spec?

with all this talk of "suspected" Euro 6 flat spot problems...I find it strange that only 12 people have took part in the poll?

For the record, our 14 plate, 1.2 8v, 500 suffers from this. I find it extremely annoying, my wife has adjusted her driving style and now can't drive mine properly hahahah!

I love the fact that the dealers, when questioned, say "it's normal" or "you'll JUST need to adjust your driving style"...priceless!

• Thanks
Reactions: Oga
I have just been told that from FIAT Customer Services "it will drive different"

• Thanks
Reactions: Oga
with all this talk of "suspected" Euro 6 flat spot problems...I find it strange that only 12 people have took part in the poll?

For the record, our 14 plate, 1.2 8v, 500 suffers from this. I find it extremely annoying, my wife has adjusted her driving style and now can't drive mine properly hahahah!

I love the fact that the dealers, when questioned, say "it's normal" or "you'll JUST need to adjust your driving style"...priceless!

That was my point, if this were really that widespread then we'd be seeing huuuuuge amounts of people on here.

I have a Panda 1.2 (feb14) Lounge with this issue. You can also feel slightly eratic idling, plus its 6mpg down on previous 1.2 Dynamic Panda (2007). It's not cracked 40mpg between any fill-ups yet (old Panda averaged 44mpg).

Been back to the dealer several times -- no error code therfore nothing to fix.

Today Fiat customer services say "it's a characteristic". They did mention my car is Euro 6 and I then twigged what to search for and found this thread instantly.

A very dissatisfied Fiat customer.

When new a car will do a lot less. My 500 when new was doing 45-47 mpg, it's loosened up and I regularly see 60mpg on the trip computer.

Does your car have the flat spot?

The problem is exacactly as Alfie14 states in the Euro 6 thread. (Couldn't have put it better myself.)

I cannot blame the poor mpg on car being new -- the 2007 Panda was at 47mpg after a similar mileage! Minimum cumulative mpg was 43.8.

The MPG will improve with use but the throttle problem does not.I have got used to the way it drives but I don't do much round town driving if I did it would be driving me mad.

Obviously there's an issue with the throttle response, but you'll be surprised how much the mpg improves

Hi All

No flat spot in my 6 month old panda 1.2 pop (i'm in Australia) ive just hit 10 000km and am having my first oil change tomorrow- the only thing i will comment on is that my oil level is on half- hope this is just "wearing in" consumption, i drive the car quite hard but that shouldn't contribute to oil consumption (or should it?)

Still loving my panda , fuel economy is fantastic (i use only 98RON) no build quality issues and reliability is excellent, the not starting and engine "knocking issue" i reported on when i first purchased the car have never happened again thanks to a computer reset by my Fiat mechanic (i am still keeping my eyes peeled for a software update). Aust Fiat dealers are absoluteley useless so there is no change in that department.

Panda on !!!!

I've a 14 plate 500 1.2, I've actually found it to be better all round in terms of acceleration than my old 1.2 on a 62 plate.. a lot less sluggish..

MPG isn't looking too fantastic, but I have only done about 400 miles so far and I do a lot of very short trips too and from work, so I doubt that they are helping with that.

What I'm now finding odd is that the '63 plate and earlier responders are equally tied between experiencing the problem and not. If that is the case, why haven't we heard of this before?

What I'm now finding odd is that the '63 plate and earlier responders are equally tied between experiencing the problem and not.

Sorted that for you :). I think those statistics are potentially skewed by the "earlier" 500's mainly appearing to be 2013 models, presumed on a 63 plate and very few of the 2007-2013 owners actually having responded, including the OP.

I gave the pre 2014 option so that people wouldn't skew the 2014 statistics, it's kind of a nothing vote for pre 2014 people :)

Ah screw it. Today I drove a 14 plate 1.2 pop with 80 miles on the clock which someone at work has as a courtesy car as his recently purchased Grand Picasso has brake issues. It was absolutely fine, I tried driving it gently, not gently and with various different levels of throttle opening and it was fine. It was a exactly as I'd expect in in terms of power with it being so new. So the issue is not a 100% issue as has been suggested. For the record the guy didn't have any issues either

Back