Tuning Punto Evo Boost Question

Currently reading:
Tuning Punto Evo Boost Question

TheAlfacode

Hi all,i have an issue with my Evo and i want to hear some advices.
My Punto is remmaped,but the thing is,we are giving 1.0 bar at high revs and drops it at 0.9 bar.
We were hoping that with the full custom exhaust this issue will go away.
And i want to ask here.
I ordered from forge the actuator for multiair which i said to hold the pressure better than the standard one.
Will this make any difference in my car with a stiffer spring?

Hello,

Your question is why your pressure drop at high rev ?

It's because the turbo can't compress the needed quantity of air when the engine eat at lot of air - translate when it is in high revolutions.

This is not a fault of your car, it's a normal function of all turbo cars (with some mechanisms to avoid this if possible)

Thanks for the answer mate,what i mean is that we programm the ecu to keep high revs 1.0 bar while i'm 1.3-1.5 over and it drops at 0.9.
They told me that this is because of something mechanic either the oem exhaust i had back then or something else,that's why i'm asking if the forge actuator will improve anything at all.

You welcome :)
Okay, not sure what is restricting the pressure in your setup, but there are two things :

You can program/change value of max pressure, this happens perhaps at 3000-4500 RPM.This is because the wastegate open so exhaust gas bypass turbo compressor wheel, and thus limit pressure on intake side.
This is a limitation to avoid to break something.

You can't program anything for high rev, because perhaps your turbo is too small, perhaps catalytic converter is too restrictive, perhaps the exhaust.
The reason for the drop in pressure is not the wastegate, it's probably full closed when in load in high revolution.

All turbo car have this concern, otherwise it would be magic : since low rpm to high constant pressure.
Some technologies are used to approach this ideal thing :
Variable Geometry Turbos http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-geometry_turbocharger
One other way is to use a compressor for low engine RPM and a turbo for high RPM, like in race car Delta S4 : [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancia_Delta_S4"]Lancia Delta S4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia@@AMEPARAM@@<title>Lancia Delta S4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</title>@@AMEPARAM@@Lancia Delta S4[/ame]

Thanks for the explanation :)
So,there is no benefits from the actuator then i guess.
Then,what else can be made to help our little punto Evogo bigger with the same turbine?
I'm currently at full first stage with 175 hp on dyno.

Its a pleasure

With the same turbine, I think it will be hard. The Abarth has 180HP, but with another turbo.

135 to 175 is a good improvement. After, you will have problem with clutch, gearbox and perhaps engine reliability (dont forget the interval service is reduced by 2 on Abarth with 180HP - the essesse kit)

How much torque do you have ?

Its a pleasure

With the same turbine, I think it will be hard. The Abarth has 180HP, but with another turbo.

135 to 175 is a good improvement. After, you will have problem with clutch, gearbox and perhaps engine reliability (dont forget the interval service is reduced by 2 on Abarth with 180HP - the essesse kit)

How much torque do you have ?

The punto evo is 165bhp standard if its the multi air engine.

In the UK it is anyway.

in Greece is 135hp though and mine showed 265nm torque.
They told me that the motor will increase a little it's performance cause now has got only 11.000 kilometers.

The punto evo is 165bhp standard if its the multi air engine.

In the UK it is anyway.
No, even in the UK (and in all the europe) the Punto Evo was 135HP.
The Abarth was standard with 163HP (but not the same turbo) and last versions (supersports) was standard with 180HP

in Greece is 135hp though and mine showed 265nm torque.
They told me that the motor will increase a little it's performance cause now has got only 11.000 kilometers.
265nm is really good. It's close of 270nm of the Abarth essesse... but the car has another gearbox !
You have the C510 gearbox ? Official specs say 206Nm (the torque of TJet 120 and MA 135), on the web sometimes we see 230nm.
For the Abarth the Gearbox is M32, with up to 320Nm torque.

So you are already using it at more than the maximum, take care of your car engine and gearbox with good oil and more frequent changes :)

Dynoed before the programm at 8.000 kilometers with terminal silencer and bmc carbon showed 142 hp and 224nm of torque. 265 nm is after the programm and the first full stage.
I have no issues with the gearbox but im looking forward to buy an abarth one for better performance,economy,and more comfortable handling of the torque.

Dynoed before the programm at 8.000 kilometers with terminal silencer and bmc carbon showed 142 hp and 224nm of torque. 265 nm is after the programm and the first full stage.
I have no issues with the gearbox but im looking forward to buy an abarth one for better performance,economy,and more comfortable handling of the torque.
Nice output with almost origin specs.
I think you are on the right way : if you want more, leave your Evo with stage 1 and spare for an Abarth, it's the best option ;)

Apologies, i was blissfully unaware :(
I thought we were on about the Abarth! Sorry for my ignorance!
No worries ;) ;) And you are right for the Abarth.

Waste of money imo by the time you got the same car with just smaller turbo.
After the gearbox and the intercooler a new turbo will do the abarth-work ;)

Back