General Help. . . no oil pressure when idle ?! Doblo

Currently reading:
General Help. . . no oil pressure when idle ?! Doblo

gmillz22

Doblo Cargo 1.3mjet 08 plate
Hi guys just wondering if anyone has had this, when the engine is hot, i get no oil pressure when i am idle . . . but when i drive the oil light goes off.
ive had a pressure check done and there is no pressure there (but i also changed the oil pressure switch anyway).
are there any filters that could be restricting . . .
are there any additives i could try?
i have got the correct oil in the van . . .
recently serviced.

Could be the pump, but unlikely if it is ok at higher rpm.

It is also possible the engine is just worn, but you don't mention the mileage.

My guess would be the timing chain tensioner has reached full capacity and is jammed fully open, letting oil flow past.

It is critical you have this checked as if the chain jumps a tooth, the engine will be seriously damaged!!

Another possibility is the oil pump pressure relief valve is jammed open.

A Bedford van I once drove had this problem, the drive to the oil pump was basically a square shaft which after many miles rounds over resulting in little drive a low rpm and it only picks up and drives the pump at high rpm.
Only solution is new pump before too much damage is done.

hi the mileage is 58000,
what would be the cheapest / easiest thing to first try? i would rather try the cheapest option before having to fork out for a new pump. . . .
thanks for the replies

Well, I know for sure that Corsa's with the 1.2 & 1.4 petrol engine with timing chains tend to go at around 60k.

Cheapest option would be to check the chain tensioner. Should take a good mechanic less than an hour to remove the cover (having first removed all the nonsense that blocks it in) and check it out.

i think for the cost of a new oil filter it would be worthwhile changing it. It is possible that the oil filter is rescritcting flow at lower pressues. I guess its worth a shot

I understood that recently serviced would have meant a filter change, but I stand to be corrected....

The filter should have been changed, however about 20 years ago, I was working on a Vauxhall and it had this problem and I tracked it down to the elements in the oil filter had collapsed, partially restricting oil flow. I have also known garages to give the oil filter a nice wipe over and hey presto they look like new.

I only mention it as a filter costs a fiver, take a few minutes to change so it would seem worth a go.

Ahh, must just be me who is honest enough to actually "do" the work I say I will :rolleyes:

I HATE garages that rip people off :bang:

I have had the oil and filter changed again. I also tried an engine flush b4 the oil and filter change. its made no difference. first the light would come on when the engine warmed up but its started coming on even when cold. the oil light stays on up to almost 2000 revs b4 going off . . . this is really starting to annoy me as im not being able to work properly (im a plumber and have no other vehicle). what is an oil relief valve? a few forums have mentioned that . . . . or what else could it be? the turbo is starting to make a little whining noise - could this be caused by the lack of oil pressure getting to the turbo ? I dunno wat to do. its doing my head in

Seems you STILL haven't checked the chain tensioner :cry:

Lack of lubrication oil will damage the turbo as it relies on oil and oil pressure to create a "bearing" of oil for the shaft to spin on.

It may be the oil pressure relief valve has jammed open, but my money is on the chain tensioner....they are a KNOWN problem in the 1.3 diesel.

thanks for all your help and replies guys. How big of a job is it to check / fix the chain tensioner? where is the pressure relief valve and where can i find this part to order? does anyone have a part number for the relief valve? is it something i can change myself?

Back