General Thinking about buying an Evo

Currently reading:
General Thinking about buying an Evo

Smudge 123

Hi

We currently have a Fiat Punto Mk2 which for age is very good condition. We also believe that the engine is an non interference engine which it being a FIRE 1.2 8v.

We are thinking of looking/buying a Punto Evo but would like to know if their engines are non interference say the 1.2 8v or the 1.4 8v?
Also when changing the timing belt is it still advisable to change the water pump and aux belt?

Anyone who knows or any other information to what to look out is gratefully received.

Hi,

not quite as basic as the older 8 Valves,

the waterpump + idler is still well worth doing while it's apart,
I THINK they are more risky with a belt slip,
a search of the GP section should give you more positive answers,

the GP is a fair bit heavier then the Mk2.. so the 1242cc is a bit SL O W ,
hope that helps,

Charlie

Thank You for the information.
I have searched GP section but can not find anything to do with an non interference/interference engines on the Evo. Maybe I should put a post in there but it would be in the wrong section.
I have never heard of the belt slipping. Do you mean the timing belt? It doesn't sound good. I have noticed a lot of people saying the Eps has been going which concerns me as this happened on our Mk2 but luckily the steering didn't go heavy.
I don't really like the idea of stop/start but most newer cars now come with this. I know you can turn it off but it could be a case of use or loose it.

We were given a courtesy car by the dealers when our eps was being sorted. it was a nearly new punto easy and a 1.4 and i found that slow a pulling away but got used to it. Our mk2 pulls away really quickly if you get it right.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm also interested to be sure with interference engine or not. Already discussed on this forum, but for the 1.4 77HP it's not sure, because variable valve timing is here now.

For start and stop, no way to disable it for the moment. MultiEcuScan is working on, if no solution I'll work on an hardware solution.

For the belt, yes when you do the work change the waterpump and idler.
Aux belt is not a risk, even if it broke, the only thing you can do only low miles because no more charge...

Myself - if your after buying a new car I'd look at something like a Fiesta or a Qashqai.

And when someone comes along and says "but they are not Fiat cars" - thats the point :)

If you don't want to buy a Punto ok, but never buy a Fiesta ! My last car was a Fiesta, and even if it was fun, I had too much problem for a car less than 5 years old...

And the Quashai is quite a small tank. Lol.

Buy what you want, everybody has his advice. But the Punto is a good choice, sure.

Back