Technical Jacking a fiat 500 abarth

Currently reading:
Technical Jacking a fiat 500 abarth

Where do you jack the fiat 500 abarth up from i tried to change my alloy wheel at weekend with standard low jack but the jack hit the side skirt before it hit a jacking point. :mad::bang:

I didn't even think the Abarth's came with a jack or space wheel? I know my mates didn't.

Get a normal hydraulic jack (its far safer than the emergency scissor jack) and place it under the front sub frame, or rear sub frame under the spring housing (y)

It's a bit pathetic that with Abarth you get no wheel brace and no jack.No doubt it's Abarth's attempt to make you take it to the dealer for everything.
I've just bought a universal scissor jack with the slot for the sill joint. The slot was not deep enough and the jack would hit the side skirt. So I've welded on some steel bar to raise the height at the top. it's good and strong and fits perfectly now.

Probably more to do with weight reduction and emissions.

This is the hilarious quote from the owners manual.

"As a result of it's sporty nature, the car is fitted with aerodynamic spoilers at the bottom and miniskirts at the side. If the vehicle needs to be raised, go to an Abarth Dealership which is equipped with arm lifts and workshop lifts ".

Under all the stick on bits it's still a 500 shell and there is no reason not to jack it yourself and less chance of getting dealer damage.

Abarth said refer to my handbook which states take it to an abarth dealiship where they are equiped with special equipment to lift car up. I am guessing a ramp but my point of view is what are you meant to do if you are on hard shoulder with a side wall damage ( which wont fix) . If you call a recovery van to change wheel they wont be able to jack car up.

Abarth said refer to my handbook which states take it to an abarth dealiship where they are equiped with special equipment to lift car up. I am guessing a ramp but my point of view is what are you meant to do if you are on hard shoulder with a side wall damage ( which wont fix) . If you call a recovery van to change wheel they wont be able to jack car up.

Wish you'd bought a car from a manufacturer that's a bit more competent?

I have discussed with abarth the situation they have told me to go and see them on Saturday. Which i will and i will post what they say about the situation.

The problem is there is nothing that they can do, well I suppose there are things they could do, but they won't do any of them.

They've designed a car which you can't jack with the standard jack, not included any jacking tools and have warned you about this. As far as they're concerned they've done their bit.

From what I remember the type of jack needed is a low entry one. The only scissor jack to do the job is from, would you believe, an old Hillman Imp. But of course scarce to get hold of.

Other than that you can but Low entry Hydraulic jacks.

I've jacked mine up using a low entry trolley jack as stated above. I'd recommend a 1/2 to inch thick block of wood to get a little extra clearance. If you look under the car just at the door/wing meeting point there are a pair of box sections hanging down with circular cut outs - use those. There is something similar at the back but covered by plastic on mine. As the car is so small it's possible to take both wheels off on one side.

DO NOT use the sills or chassis rails as it's easy to damage and in the early days even dealers were caught out.

Thank you all for advice i have found a scissor jack which actually works i tried my low profile jack but it kept on hitting the side skirt. Much appreciated for you advice and abarth was not useful on the situation to be honest. :slayer:

Hi dannyfiatman

any chance you can tell me what the jack is that you have found that works?

Many thanks

This is what most people do.
hqdefault.jpg

Don't get me started on the whole 'jacking' issue with all 500's and garages / dealers in general... Feel my blood pressure rising already. There's hardly a 500 out there without damage from incorrect 'correct' jacking :mad:

Don't get me started on the whole 'jacking' issue with all 500's and garages / dealers in general... Feel my blood pressure rising already. There's hardly a 500 out there without damage from incorrect 'correct' jacking :mad:

I viewed 3 500's in December for sister, we bought the 3rd and it was the only one with front end sill damage caused by incorrect jacking. It's shocking how common it is!

Back