Technical High-level brake lamp.

Currently reading:
Technical High-level brake lamp.

BigKev

Evening folks!

How do I remove the high-level brake lamp from a 500 Convertible so that I can replace some of the bulbs?

Many thanks, Kev :)

I know it sounds unhelpful, but the manual tells you how to do it and afaik it's just one bulb

FYI the manual only mentions the tin-top, not the convertible.

Also, there are 12 bulbs - type W5W.

So, is there anyone here who has done this job?

Regards, Kev.

Last edited:
FYI the manual only mentions the tin-top, not the convertible.

Also, there are 12 bulbs - type W5W.

So, is there anyone here who has done this job?

Regards, Kev.
You should have a supplement for the convertible IIRC.

Whale oil beef hooked, there ARE 12 bulbs in there, my apologies :)

I was really hoping someone could shed some light on what ought to be a simple job. I don't want to break anything or cause a subsequent leak through my ignorance.

There is no mention of the high-level brake light bulb renewal in the convertible supplement.

Has anyone here any experience with this little job on the 500C?
I'd be very grateful..

Hi BigKev.
I apologise for re-opening this old thread, but my wife's 500c has half the bulbs failed on the centre brake light. Did you ever suss out how to change them? I've read the main thread linked here and there are no instructions there either.

Hi BigKev.
I apologise for re-opening this old thread, but my wife's 500c has half the bulbs failed on the centre brake light. Did you ever suss out how to change them? I've read the main thread linked here and there are no instructions there either.

The C's 3rd brake light uses LED's and I suspect the only way to fix dud lights is to replace the whole unit.

Well, actually I had a go at this last year (this is an old thread). The rear portion of head lining is uncliped, then four screws are removed to release the spoiler, then the whole LED unit can be replaced. On assembly, apply more sealant to the four screw holes to combat leaks, replace screws and headlining. Fiddly working in the back of the car (it is for me as I am a huge fella!) but not dificult for a competent DIY type.
The new LED unit is hellishly expensive though, at over £100!!!

bloomin heck.....i thought this was going to be easy!!!
2012 plate and same issue 2-3 'bulbs' at the RHS of the unit not lighting on a 500c.. think its going to have to wait!

Last edited:
OEM third brakelight for 500C sells for 165 euros in the Netherlands.
200 pounds is insane. (although 165 euros is still crazy for 12 LED's and some red plastic)

Perhaps it worth trying to replace with a generic 12 led light strip that can be gotty for around a £10 it looks like it may squeeze into the place the original light did and the red light housing shoud make the Leda the correct colour

Can the unit be taken apart? Maybe then you could replace the LEDS

They're supposed to be sealed units, and can't be dismantled, but no doubt moisture finds a chink somewhere. It most likely attacks the circuit board tracks and solder joints; at least that's what I've seen in other devices.

You could maybe open the unit with a razor saw so it could be resealed with epoxy or perhaps silicone (not acetic cure though!).

Back