General Failed MOT...Emissions

Currently reading:
General Failed MOT...Emissions

calumleeds

car failed on emissions today. new tire fitted yesterday and had mess around fitting the washer pump. Its been gobbling oil and garage reckon not worth investigating as its got 134k on clock. Very pissed off and looks like its scrapper bound. never had a vehicle scrapped because of emissions before

cars a 1.9D 2001....had full oil and filter change about 3 months ago . its been using lots of oil . Failure was excessive smoke in exhaust. The exhaust looks a bit gunky/oily at the end. mechanic is pretty straight up and said he could clean injectors and new filter and give it a go but he didn't seem convinced it would work. there seems to be lots of advice Kicking around about diesel additiives and revving the knackers off of it before testing ? If We retest I'll probably use a different garage.
Thanks Calum

Sorry to hear that fella
Straying off topic but could be a little heads up on insurance if your not transferring to another vehicle straight away and if you pay by monthly instalments as opposed to a one off up front payment at renewal time.
I scrapped a car latter part of last year and was paying the insurance on monthly instalments.
When the scrappers issue the online certificate, the insurance company get to know straight away via the online cyber world without you doing anything. I did get a 2 week grace period to confirm what I wanted to do with my insurance policy. As I wasn't transferring the policy to another vehicle, I believed it was just a matter of the policy being cancelled up to the end of the 2 week grace period. Not so, I got a bill for £90, apparently chargeable from the credit card company that had funded the annual insurance premium for loss of interest.
It appears that although I elected to pay via monthly payments, in reality, the insurance company got the single annual premium paid by a credit card company and I was paying the insurance company appointed credit card company via the monthly premiums, hence the loss of interest and me having make a final payment to compensate. You live and learn.:(

Would using veg oil or 50/50 mix have any effect on the emissions ? Is it legal for the test ? A mate suggested it but it would be pretty obvious to the tester smelling like a bad chippy

My first thought would be ditch the oil & put in some decent stuff like Millers http://www.millersoils.co.uk/whichoil.asp

Change the filter too.

Normally, oil is burnt because of worn bores, valve guides or turbo (or a bit of all three), but if it starts easily enough, I would also blame cheap oil.

Not all garages put in good oil and it gets burned by the combustion process.

It's a cheap-ish fix at around 40/50 quid, but a lot simpler than removing injectors.

Next, fill the tank with premium diesel such as BP or Shell's best (it works out a couple of quid more than the cheap stuff and is FAR better than any supermarket shise (y)

Once you filled the tank, add some redex and take her for a high speed motorway run after having booked it in for a retest. If stopped, you tell the plod you are on your way for a pre-booked mot and were advised to run it up to clean the exhaust & injectors in order to pass emissions test.

Don't go over the speed limit, just stay in 4th instead of 5th for around a half mile or so, then drop into 3rd as if overtaking a couple of times.

Then report back ;)

Back