General more comfortable suspension

Currently reading:
General more comfortable suspension

hakan439

Hi

I own an 2012 fiat 500C. Is there a way to make it more comfortable. The ride is very bouncy. I do have the 15 inch wheel option. I read the bilsten and koni shocks but could not understand whether they make more confortable. I do know that I can not make it merc confortable and I do not want any sportier ride either.*

Hi

I own an 2012 fiat 500C. Is there a way to make it more comfortable. The ride is very bouncy. I do have the 15 inch wheel option. I read the bilsten and koni shocks but could not understand whether they make more confortable. I do know that I can not make it merc confortable and I do not want any sportier ride either.*

Really? I dont think the suspension could be any softer than the stock one it feels like a rowing boat with it basically!

I have a 500c S and I find it handles very well and does not seem to bounce at all.

Bilstein b4's will make it a bit better, Koni FSD's would probably be my pick for comfort, standard 500 suspension is crap.

Hi

I own an 2012 fiat 500C. Is there a way to make it more comfortable. The ride is very bouncy. I do have the 15 inch wheel option. I read the bilsten and koni shocks but could not understand whether they make more confortable. I do know that I can not make it merc confortable and I do not want any sportier ride either.*[/

A key factor here is the the short wheelbase- the distance between the front and back wheels. Shorter wheel bases will give a bouncy ride, which is why limos, Jags and Rollers all have longer wheelbases for a plusher, smoother ride. If you make the suspension too soft it will wallow and handle badly- you may have had a longer wheelbase car before so the bouncy ride is possibly more noticeable. You will adjust I'd say...

When you say the ride is "bouncy", do you mean you feel the sharp bump when you go over a speed hump? I have a 500C with 16" stock wheels and it's definitely quite jarring, but I've learned to mitigate this by going over the speed bumps more slowly. You just can't get away with rushing over bumps the same way you can with other cars like the Corolla.

If you have 15" wheels, it should feel less jarring than the 16" ones.

Aside from that, I find the suspension of my car really nice.

Definitely a wheelbase issue. My daughter used to have a Hyundai Getz, we jokingly referred to it as 'the bouncy car'. Not many cars have a shorter wheelbase then a 500, perhaps a Smart...

When you say the ride is "bouncy", do you mean you feel the sharp bump when you go over a speed hump? I have a 500C with 16" stock wheels and it's definitely quite jarring, but I've learned to mitigate this by going over the speed bumps more slowly. You just can't get away with rushing over bumps the same way you can with other cars like the Corolla.

If you have 15" wheels, it should feel less jarring than the 16" ones.

Aside from that, I find the suspension of my car really nice.

I know that short wheelbase does cause some bounciness especially on speed humps.

Definitely a wheelbase issue. My daughter used to have a Hyundai Getz, we jokingly referred to it as 'the bouncy car'. Not many cars have a shorter wheelbase then a 500, perhaps a Smart...

If you think a Getz is bad, wait till you get your 500 :) I've driven a Getz (my brothers car) in Australia and it was like a Merc compared to the 500.

If you think a Getz is bad, wait till you get your 500 :) I've driven a Getz (my brothers car) in Australia and it was like a Merc compared to the 500.

I've driven a few 500's and I'm buying one because I do like the handling etc. The Getz is an impressive car, but lacks the character and charm of the 500.

I have no issue with the 500's comfort, though I'm yet to spend more than an hour in one, still rather own a 500 than a Getz...or the i20 which is the new version.

I've spent thousands of hours in a 500 and the ride quality just isn't that great, the Getz was better.

Hi

Buy a set of 14" steel wheels & tyres. It will improve the ride and you will get a couple of extra miles per gallon too.

Be thankful you have a car with the revised suspension - the ride of the pre 2010 cars is noticeably worse.

Last edited:
Back