Technical Bulb (electric lights) warning but all lights ok ?

Currently reading:
Technical Bulb (electric lights) warning but all lights ok ?

Stephen505

More wonder from my astonishing Fiat Punto Mk2. I have a constant light warning sign in my dashboard (amber bulb-like sign) which according Fiat's user manual, it indicates that there is some fault with the electric lights of the car, but all lights are operating well. :confused::eek::bang::cry:

Any clues or maybe a wizard?

Hi mate,

Have you replaced any bulbs recently? Tail lights for example? Or do you have any LED bulbs fitted?

When does the bulb failure warning light come on? Eg when the sidelights are turned on? Or when the ignition is turned on?

A dodgy earth is another possibility. If you turn your lights on and your hazards ASWELL, if you walk around the car do you see the tail lights or sidelights etc on one particular cluster dimming when the indicator flashes? Or the "Christmas tree" effect of other lights such as revers or brake lights illuminating when say indicator activated?

Alan

Hi, The light warning comes immediately on ignition. I don't have the Xmas tree effect (had it and know about it). However I remembered to check few more lights such as that at the back door, the number plate and rear braking light. Checking these I think I would have checked all lights:

Front lights (Dim, Normal, brights and indicator)
Side-front indicator lights (two small amber bulbs)
Cabin roof lights left and right
Rear lights (driving red lights, indicator, brake lights)
Reverse light (one sideo nly on Punto)
Rear number plate
Back door bulb

The ones in Bold are those that I haven't checked.

I have changed the battery (became completely dead) and all bulbs of the head lamps after an accident.

Hi, The light warning comes immediately on ignition. I don't have the Xmas tree effect (had it and know about it). However I remembered to check few more lights such as that at the back door, the number plate and rear braking light. Checking these I think I would have checked all lights:

Front lights (Dim, Normal, brights and indicator)
Side-front indicator lights (two small amber bulbs)
Cabin roof lights left and right
Rear lights (driving red lights, indicator, brake lights)
Reverse light (one sideo nly on Punto)
Rear number plate
Back door bulb

The ones in Bold are those that I haven't checked.

I have changed the battery (became completely dead) and all bulbs of the head lamps after an accident.

I'd check the brake lights before continuing then.

More wonder from my astonishing Fiat Punto Mk2. I have a constant light warning sign in my dashboard (amber bulb-like sign) which according Fiat's user manual, it indicates that there is some fault with the electric lights of the car, but all lights are operating well. :confused::eek::bang::cry:

Any clues or maybe a wizard?

probably the wrong wattage in the rear side lights, most garages / motor factors sell 5W ones they need to be 10W

Back to square 1: All lights are lighting up (incl. braking lights) and there is no XMAs tree effect when brights are on and the hazards lights are in operation. The only, if I can say, effect I noticed is that with the brights on and hazard lights blinking, when the indicator at the back is on, there is a very very very slight dimming of the rear red driving (always on) light - barely noticeable. What a strange fault?!

How can I check the earth strap?

Last edited:
Mechanic said that it was hard to find the fault but finally it was "something wrong" from the rear fog light and told me to avoid pressing the fog lamp switch on the dash board. I am puzzled - I never realised that my punto has fog lamps at the rear and when I press that switch, I never observed any lamp lighting up and thought it was just a fake switch. Well the problem is fixed now
:slayer:

Yes you are right, i had the Xmas tree effect and that last pin was covered with oxide. His way of cleaning it was to apply some contact spray. I told him that it should be also scraped off a bit but he said there's no need. So now i think the fault was coming back slowly, although no symptoms were yet seen.

As I mentioned in the video sometimes the fouled pin can cause the connector plug or light to melt or burn around that earth pin this still leaves a very bad connection which can cause the same fault, it could well be you need a new multiplug and earth wire if that's is the case

Question on warning light: my lights are all working (visually checked, including brake lights) however I get the bulb-warning light coming on when I press the brakes. This isn't an unknown problem (wiring issues?). Also normal is that if I release the brake the light goes off (makes sense), but the bit that puzzles me is that if I then reapply brakes, the light doesn't in fact come on again.

I haven't managed to quantify how long it takes to "reset" if you know what I mean (i.e. how long after a warning-less brake-application until the warning will reappear). What I am confident of is that when the light does come on, it doesn't go off until I release brake.

Any ideas on cause, implications?

(Was searching forum and read Ziggy's guide, but didn't find answer to this)

Question on warning light: my lights are all working (visually checked, including brake lights) however I get the bulb-warning light coming on when I press the brakes. This isn't an unknown problem (wiring issues?). Also normal is that if I release the brake the light goes off (makes sense), but the bit that puzzles me is that if I then reapply brakes, the light doesn't in fact come on again.

I haven't managed to quantify how long it takes to "reset" if you know what I mean (i.e. how long after a warning-less brake-application until the warning will reappear). What I am confident of is that when the light does come on, it doesn't go off until I release brake.

Any ideas on cause, implications?

(Was searching forum and read Ziggy's guide, but didn't find answer to this)

Follow my video guide above most likely the cause but very mush boarder line

I have a 2012 punto I have had a lot of issues with the warning light. Normally it’s the day light running lights that is causing the problems and can be soon sorted by finding which one is not working, but the last few days after changing both of them (both seemed to be working) I still I found this site.

Finally found one of the back side brake lights was not working. Would seem That when starting the car there is no warning light until you press the brakes then the light stays on. Not an easy one to find needs two people to check it really. Hope this helps

Back