would you compromise on car colour ?

• Yes(reason why?)

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • No (reason why?)

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • other (leave a comment)

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
just wondering how many of you would compromise on a car colour?
for example yellow car 29k on the clock and the other car has 50k but in red/black/orange colour which ever one you prefer so the quesion is would you get the higher mileage car just for the colour ? or would you take the colour you not a big fan of ?

hopefully this will makes some sense

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy a car in a colour I don't like (RED) but if the 'right' car was in an OK colour then condition takes precedence. I tend to look at only cars in colours I can live with anyway.

I wouldn't buy a car in a colour I don't like (RED) but if the 'right' car was in an OK colour then condition takes precedence. I tend to look at only cars in colours I can live with anyway.

Ditto, but white.... Also a bit loathe to get cars that blend into the hedges around here (i.e. brown or green...). :eek:

Yellow FIATs tend to look pretty cool, as a rule, though...! :cool:

White, black or green are definitely a no go for me, regardless of condition etc.
This is becasue white and black are terrible colours to keep clean IMO and green has always been considered unlucky.

If it is a minor difference like 20k on the odometer, I'll take the color that I prefer rather than go for the lower mileage. Some more significant variance, such as accident history, 100k on the odometer, rust on the frame, those things that have a potential to be much more expensive than a paint job, will sway my choice to the less desired color.

always have. wanted a tesla blue, got baby blue. does change slightly with light, can get a way with calling ti silver in some lighting

took 3months to find the specs of the car i got. under 70k 1.8tdci focus no older than 06

This question depends entirely on budget, if you're spending a grand condition is all, if you're spending 10 then depending on what you're buying you can afford to be a bit more picky. If you're spending 20 then it better have the right colour, the right options, and be the one you were looking for and be good nick.

Yes, if you haven't got much money the condition is the only consideration.

Otherwise, I would never touch a non-metallic red, a black or a dark green car. I don't like silver either. The 500 in pink works well, unbelievably, but on other cars: no!

To a certain degree every car is a compromise. Colour doesn't come into it.

Unless it's a Sporting model as it's a well known fact that yellow ones are faster. Just like Green Kawasaki's and red Alfa's.

Lmao. TIL

We tested this theory when I worked for Performance Bikes Magazine. We had two identical ZX636R's one green and one blue. Over a quarter mile the green one was consistently 0.4 of a second quicker. On a lap around Snetterton GP circuit the green bike was between 1.4 and 1.6 seconds quicker. Mallory Park the green bike was 0.9 to 1.3 seconds quicker. Yet on a dynograph both bikes were within 1.5 bhp of each other with 200rpm difference in peak output. We swapped ECU's and it made no difference on the dyno.

It wasn't until we ripped the bikes apart we noticed the air induction pipes on the green bike were 2mm wider than the blue one. We swapped airboxes and induction pipes and the blue bike was quicker and faster.

Due to outside variables the test was invalidated by Kawasaki and we weren't allowed to publish the results. Brilliant weekends work though. ;)

Last edited:
Colour isn't a priority but I would reject a car if I thought it's colour so bad it outweighed everything else (Example: I turned down an amazing deal on a new Clio because it was bright yellow).

Given the choice I'd have bought a red Trekk with black roof and black alloys...But the deal was on a stock white with black roof and normal alloys. My choice was stock colour now or wait 3 months and lose at least €1000 = No Choice in my books.

Last edited:
My first Honda Accord was a compromise, colour-wise... The only one available in the right spec, at the right price and in the right place, was in "mist opal" - a sort of pale metalic green. Definitely not my first choice, but I bought it on the basis that I can't see the colour when I'm driving it. It was a great car and I put well over 100,000 miles on it, then bought another one in dark grey...
Never regretted making the compromise - it was a great car...

Back