Technical Windscreen Replacement!

Currently reading:
Technical Windscreen Replacement!

Palio

Spirito di Panto!
I haven't posted in this section for a while (sorry I usually lurk in the Classic Panda section), but do visit every so often.

My Mum bought a very nice Panda 4x4 TA last April & is delighted with it. Firmly touching wood, she's having great fun with it & it's been faultless (not even any minor niggles when it was new). She doesn't use a computer so there's no MM thread, but I might do one eventually......

Unfortunately a large stone was thrown at Pippin (the Panda) from a passing lorry yesterday, resulting in a foot length crack proceeding in a Southerly direction down the screen. (n)

I'm guessing no-one's been unfortunate enough to be able to answer this yet, but I'm not expecting replacement to be quick or easy! The 4x4 has not only the heated windscreen option but also the CBC option with the laser fitted at the top of the screen (with a specially designed black out strip at the top). :eek:

Has anyone come across replacement of this yet? If so, how easy was it to get & is there anything to watch out for with the laser refitting? I'm imagining the average fitter won't know what on earth it is, let alone how to go about removing & refitting it. The handbook helpfully says go to a Fiat dealer, which isn't an option if we want an expensive (heaven knows how expensive!) screen fitted for the insurance glass excess.

Any thoughts what to look out for?

Also does anyone know what tint colour the screen has, as they are bound to ask? :worship:

I'm going to end up having to try to sort this as Mum's in her 70's - she's driving the car as it should be (fast), but hates anything like this! :rolleyes:

Even if there are no ideas, I'll update this as we get anywhere (or don't), so that others might have some idea of what to expect. (y)

Thanks in advance for any ideas, sympathy, etc.

Can't advise on the screen in your mums panda (I have the exact same options) but when I had my abarth windscreen chip fixed I was talking to the repairer and he said they have a lot of kit because more and more cars have so much built into the screen (especially Audi he said). So as long as fiat can actually supply the right screen with the CBC frame I think it'll be ok.

I had a similar problem on a new Iveco van a couple of year ago, Autoglass the insurer's nominated supplier did not have their own brand available as it was a new model, so they had to get it from Iveco genuine parts and then fitted it. Only took a couple of days longer, and if using your insurance it is up to them to supply one how they do it is not your problem!

No stock of this screen with any of the aftermarket suppliers; in any case, ordering the screen off the chassis number will guarantee a like-for-like replacement.

You don't always have to use who your insurer tells you to either.

Just a quick update. The correct glass is not in stock (shock horror!), so is being ordered from a dealer (hopefully they will be able to get hold of one). No idea of timescale but I'll update this so others know what to expect.

According to the dealer they are green tinted by the way.

Thanks for the replies everyone (y)

Well, I take it all back!! Well done Fiat, apparently it should be delivered to Autoglass on Monday & they can fit it Wednesday. That's only 2 working days from order to delivery! (y)

Actually, looking at Weds weather forecast I'm not sure they will be able to fit it that day, but I must stop being so cynical..... ;)

Last edited:
Don't they have big roll out awnings to shelter the car?

Only suitable for chip repairs, had to be completely dry to replace screen as if just a single water droplet get trapped in the rubber sealant they use the screen won't bond properly and will normally leak - this is what I was told when I last had a screen fitted.

Well I withdraw my earlier withdrawal!!! :bang:

I knew it would be far from simple :bang:

Went over to Autoglass today with my Mum as the weather's been too bad for a home replacement. First thing the fitter said was it's got a laser, we've got the wrong glass!! I then pointed out that they'd also not got a heated screen, so zero out of ten for accuracy.....

A call by Autoglass to Thames Fiat had my head in my hands. They denied that Fiat made glass with that spec - a second call had them saying the Panda never had a heated screen :rolleyes: The manager actually rang them a 3rd time after asking if we'd mind if he checked personally that it was heated (what is wrong with Thames Slough? Perry's in Aylesbury certainly know that Pandas have heated screens and CBC!).

The upshot is a formal complaint to Autoglass, a big (n) to Thames (who I thought were better than that), and a blinding revelation that the glass has to be ordered from Italy. They should have asked me 2 weeks ago - the first thing I said was there won't be any in the UK.

Fiat are saying it will be with Autoglass by Wednesday next week, which is quite good going, so a tentative (y) to Fiat themselves (who need to train their dealers a bit better).

Rant over - I'll keep you posted!

Btw if anyone needs a new screen that isn't heated or lasered, there's one spare in Wycombe. :idea:

What a right shambles. I have to say as appealing as the heated screen is, the thing that put me off speccing was the 'what if it breaks' voice in my head. Something like a windscreen which gets cracked frequently should be kept stocked in the UK really. My mum is currently having a similar problem with ford over her Ka's screen where the left half of the elements have stopped working :banghead:

Fingers crossed it gets sorted for you :thumbup:

Yes thanks - it will get sorted, but it is frustrating. I suspect that a heated screen would be available in the UK, but add the laser to it, and that's a fairly unusual spec for a Panda.

Yes very true Charlie - at least it's not leaking!! :eek:

On the plus side, the customer service since I made the complaint has been excellent & they are taking it seriously. It will be interesting to see how they deal with this - everyone makes mistakes & how a company deals with it makes all the difference. (y)

Okay so I have to ask what's the Laser in reference to the windscreen? I'm aware of the heated screen (Ford patent if I'm not mistaken) but not the laser?

The laser's for the city brake control. It's an anti collision thing for around town mainly. At (I think) under 30mph it will apply the brakes if it sees that you are about to drive into something. Very clever & works well apparently, but like the airbags you hope you don't need to test it! The laser shoots from the top of the screen over the bonnet (y)

Last edited:
Back