Technical Knocking from front left under load

Currently reading:
Technical Knocking from front left under load

jrwilshire2003

Hi all,

New to the Fiat forum but have our first problem with our 500. Basically under load (when pulling away) or at extremely low revs or if you keep the handbrake on and try to pull away, there is a loud knocking noise coming from the left hand side of the car. I've ruled out suspension issues as it doesn't make any noise whilst driving along even when you hit large holes but under load and low revs it causes something to knock from the front left. Wasn't sure if it was some sort of engine mount had gone but its totally puzzling me.

Any help would be grateful!! Cheers!

P.s. also have a constant squeak coming form the right rear brake, Presume it's either holding on slightly or something is in there.

Cheers!

Welcome.

It would be useful to know a few things about your car. How old is it? What mileage has it done? What spec is the car - 1.2/diesel/twinair etc. If it is 3 years old or over, what service routine (when was the car last serviced), has the car had/when was the last MOT if applicable/any advisories?

Also, I'm curious to know, why are you trying to pull away with the handbrake on?.....

I'm not trying to pull away with the handbrake on!, on purpose its to recreate to noise from the car stationary as it normally does it pulling away, so keeping the handbrake keeps the car stationary whilst lowering the revs recreating the problem.

Regarding the car it's a 2008, 1.4 Pop, 70,000 with full service history 9 last one was just under a year ago and no advisories from last years MOT.

I'm not trying to pull away with the handbrake on!, on purpose its to recreate to noise from the car stationary as it normally does it pulling away, so keeping the handbrake keeps the car stationary whilst lowering the revs recreating the problem.

Regarding the car it's a 2008, 1.4 Pop, 70,000 with full service history 9 last one was just under a year ago and no advisories from last years MOT.

Ok, understand, so looking at what you've said, last MOT just under a year ago and so it must be due very soon? You could just stick in for the MOT and see what they come back with......I'd recommend using your local Council Depot for the MOT (you definitely have to book in advance!) completely unbiased because they can't charge/do work for stuff they might find wrong, just issue you with a pass/fail/advisories.

Are you sure too that it really is nothing to do with suspension? I can assure you that shock absorbers for instance do not last forever, indeed at around 70k, they will be getting to the stage of requiring replacement. Many people will tell you that is a garbage statement, I assure you it is not. Shock wear is gradual to the point the owner very rarely notices it and will affect the handling/braking of the vehicle as it gets worse. Also, there are the springs to consider, have you checked you don't have a broken coil spring, not unknown to happen, bits of broken coil spring can often be seen laying in the road, trust me, I've seen plenty!

I'm also thinking shockers especially as the sound is heard under load. May sound basic, but are the front wheel nuts all on and are they tight? Wonder also if a CV joint issue could be a factor. Hmmm...

Yeah was gonna do that but knocks annoy me on cars! Had plenty on lots of cars and they really bug me. As you said it still could be suspension but it's odd it makes no noise whilst driving only when pulling off. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue that was all. :)

Another thing my friend, not connected, but have you had the the timing belt replaced on your car yet? I believe it's 72,000 miles or 4 years and as your car is now coming up to six years old, if you haven't had it done, you should be thinking about it.

As PsFiat eluded, CV joint, also wishbone/tie rod end or upper shock mount bearings, worn suspension bushes etc could be a factor.

I feel like the elephant in the room is engine mounts.

Well, We finally got to the bottom of this knocking after its service. The Engine cover had a worn mount which was causing it to move up and down on top of the engine causing the knock, One rubber washer later no more knocking! Couldn't believe it was something so simple. Thought I'd keep you posted on the result. Thanks again!

Back