General Is it safe...?

Currently reading:
General Is it safe...?

The Jim

Banned
To take a power washer to spray the engine compartment?

I was gonna clean it out cos there's quite a build up of some kinda silt, salt/general crap on top of the engine and surrounding areas.

I was gonna take a poly bag and cover up the alternator and battery but anything else I should be aware of, is this a wise thing to do?

Your Very brave Dave,

I been pondering on this for ages, I can see how its safe, as if water gets int he ECU or spark plugs etc battery?

If I did do it, id cover ECU, Dizzy , Alternator, etc

Anyone got pics of a spray'd engine bay #

Yeah but dave there is a difference between rain water from the bottom and sides, compared to a jet washer blasting it

I wouldn't risk it. I've hosepiped mine a few times along with halford engine degreaser. I didn't like doing that either.

Watch out for your lights (MK2) mine managed to fill up, fish tank style..

LMFAO,

Hmm im tempted to do this now mate.

If I was doing round head gasget area etc, should I have concernd about the Alternator ?

i did this once,thought it was a good idea until i tried to start the car and she didnt want to know :bang: had to sit there for half an hour waiting for engine to dry out before it would start!!!

SO BE CAREFUL :p

Just been speaking to my boyfriend who has been valeting at a fiat dealership for 6 years.He reckons that he has jet washed hundreds of punto engine bays mk1 and 2 and never had any problems.
He aint shy with the water either :p
Just use abit if common sense and all should be fine.

He uses alloy wheel cleaner on the block if its bad and Traffic Film Remover on the rest.

Hope this helps (y)

Cheers for that, I wimped out today, but might attempt it tomorrow.

Im gonna bag stuff up just to be sure haha

I had the engine bay of my Pug 205 steam-cleaned once. Within 2 months everyhting electrical under the bonnet went up the swannie. I will never, ever wash/ steam clean an engine again. It also gets rid of grease which is used to lubricate, so that can't be a good thing...

Most of the engine is subjected to rain water like people have been saying.

The most important areas to be kept lubricated are housed under protective covers.

Only thing I would do is put some copper slip on the battery terminals afterwards, but then I'm covering up my battery and alternator anyway.

Last edited:
Back