Technical Wanted: Dashboard Wiring help/manuals

Currently reading:
Technical Wanted: Dashboard Wiring help/manuals

Jacco

Hi Guys,

I've been rebuilding my Ritmo 130TC now, and now, I have everything running. Engine runs good, gearbox all well.

Buttttt... Now, I have this problem. For some sort of way, my dashboard electronics, aren't working the way they should be. When I pull my parking brake, the oil temperature sign starts to light up. When I click my highbeam on, my rearwindow heating light turns on. And so on. So in a nutshell, everything works in different ways.

Now I have been looking for some info, manuals and stuff, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone has a scematic? Links to manuals? Other usefull help?

I appreciate it!

Regards,

Jacco

Hi Guys,

I've been rebuilding my Ritmo 130TC now, and now, I have everything running. Engine runs good, gearbox all well.

Buttttt... Now, I have this problem. For some sort of way, my dashboard electronics, aren't working the way they should be. When I pull my parking brake, the oil temperature sign starts to light up. When I click my highbeam on, my rearwindow heating light turns on. And so on. So in a nutshell, everything works in different ways.

I appreciate it!

Regards,

Jacco

Hi Jacco,
and welcome to the Fiat Forum,

Some excellent links there..!,(y)
also worth checking it's not just a bad earth though..!!;)

Charlie

The dash wiring connectors share the same notorious design of Fiat cars of that era.

Basically the rear of the dash is one large flex circuit. At every connector location the flex circuit is looped up and over and down a vertical strip/post. At this location the copper strips are exposed on both sides of the vertical strip/post. (Male setup)

The cable connector consists of opposing "finger" contacts that make connection with the exposed flex when located over the vertical strip/post. (Female setup)

The two most common faults are:

1) Oxidation of either/and the flex contact strips or the connector contacts.

It is normally the flex contact strips that oxidise the most. To fix use a proper PCB cleaning brush (has fine fibreglass bristles) or a pencil rubber or 1200 to 1500 grade wet-and-dry paper.

2) The opposing contact fingers in the connector shell are either broken or spaced too far apart.

Just visual check every one. If any are too far apart then gently tease both sides towards each other so the gap between them is a little narrower than the width of flex circuit strip/post.

It is not a good idea to try and make the opposing fingers touch each other although the surface contact force will be higher the load on the brittle contacts is much greater and they are more likely to snap of on one or both sides.

When done lightly spray the flex contact strips and connector contacts with "electro-lube" before reconnecting the connectors.

I had to do this many many years (15+) ago on out 130TC and it has never malfunctioned since.

There are several earth strips floating around the flex and the loss of one or more will often cause strange behaviour.

Last edited:
You will need good luck with the above links as this forum seems to dead.

I've applied many a time and never get a response and on the odd occasion a response has been received the Email address for the reply is invalid.

Nick, I've been grateful for the info on your site re my 130. The microfiches are great. We are lucky to have enthusiasts such as you.

I'm sorry if you've personally not received much joy from the Strada O.C. To be fair,it's only only about 200 members (including you- as you know we haven't many such cars left!), and probably many/most- like me- are enthusiasts for the car but pretty useless practically.

I HAVE received some help from the OC site, but agree some postings get little or no response.There is a small hard core of those who respond,when they are online,but maybe they get fed up of being the only contributors? It's always worth a try for any help.

The OP asked for schematics- there IS an electrics schematic at the link I quoted- and for any other useful info anyone could suggest. Details of the O.Cs in both UK and France may just give him access to more help.

JACCO: the links I put up MAY only work for O.C. members?- DOH, I didn't think of that, as I am a member! To register, you need first to apply at www.strada130.co.uk. The forum is still going.

Good luck.John.

Hi John

Well although I'm on the Strada O.C. website as S130 (I don't hide my identity) I have not been able to post for a very long time as I got banned for pedantic/petty reasons best know to the site owner. I was told I could re-join and they desperately needed my knowledge and help I had to offer but id lost my S130 id password. So I asked for S130 to be PW reset and nothing happened. So I raised a new id (which rather defeats the continuity and open identity) and nothing happened re. access. A month later I got an application form which failed to return due to invalid Email address. In the end I gave up trying as from a personal point of view I was wasting precious time messing around when I could have been helping people.

Some months later I tried again. Same problems.

So whilst you will find posts by me (S130) on the Strada OC site they are very old.

Since then I've been putting effort into my site and supporting users here on the Fiat Forum and Fiat Motor Club GB sites and also the Fiat Ritmo Club of Italy.

I might yet try again to get my S130 userid reset/activated on the Strada130.co.uk website if I'm really wanted there then why all the problems?

I just feel sorry for all the Strada owner's on the OC site, more their loss than mine.

Hi Nick. I agree that your knowledge is much needed- all resources are valuable when trying to keep an old FIAT alive!

Hope you don't mind,but I've actually pm'd Mitch with an edited version of the above problems,in the hope that he can facilitate from his end your return to the fold. Hope to see you there!

Kindest regards.John

S130 I dont know why you want to be part of a website that messes you and other people about . I am told not many people go to the site anymore .I still speak to alot of the guys who used to be a member When it was started in the beginning in 2006 it was a great site . How do i know because myself and mitch started it . It all went downhill in 2010 .
Doblovert are you the guy in France who bought the black Strada130Tc and drove it back to south west France ?

Abarth130TC (?Rob?).

Yep,that's me!!!-JPS130TC on that site,and the French O.C. too. I'm only here with a different name as I first joined when I had a Doblo (plus Marea HLX20V and X1/9)- now I have a Qubo and a 130TC, but I don't want to keep changing my name!

Pics of the car are in my gallery.

Regards.John.

S130 I dont know why you want to be part of a website that messes you and other people about . I am told not many people go to the site anymore .I still speak to alot of the guys who used to be a member When it was started in the beginning in 2006 it was a great site . How do i know because myself and mitch started it . It all went downhill in 2010.

I think you know where I'm coming from my friend. I've sent you a PM via an alternative path!

Abarth130TC (?Rob?).

Yep,that's me!!!-JPS130TC on that site,and the French O.C. too. I'm only here with a different name as I first joined when I had a Doblo (plus Marea HLX20V and X1/9)- now I have a Qubo and a 130TC, but I don't want to keep changing my name!

Pics of the car are in my gallery.

Regards.John.
Yes John its me . Glad to see your car is back on the road and looking great . When i had my first black Series 2 strada abarth back in 1991 your car lived around the corner from me . I used to see the guy everyday (he was a policeman ) at the time .

Back