Which diagnostic tool for iPad/iPhone?

Currently reading:
Which diagnostic tool for iPad/iPhone?

jackrmee

I'm looking for a diagnostic machine to plug into my iPad or iPhone.

I haven't used code readers before, so I'm not up to date.

I don't want to be spending thousands either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I don't know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for... -- but I have one permanently slotted into the ODB slot of my Mk2 Punto. As long as you're aware of its limitations (and US bias), then it's very handy to have. (Their tech support is also instantaneously wonderful...!) (y)

For more complex stuff, I use MultiECUscan and a Windows NT-based notebook (even though I'm usually a Mac man...). :eek:

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for... -- but I have one permanently slotted into the ODB slot of my Mk2 Punto. As long as you're aware of its limitations (and US bias), then it's very handy to have. (Their tech support is also instantaneously wonderful...!) (y)

For more complex stuff, I use MultiECUscan and a Windows NT-based notebook (even though I'm usually a Mac man...). :eek:

Mate, that looks amazing!! What do you mean by limitations and US bias? Does it do airbags? Does it do other makes/models?

I found one on the bay for £60 from the US. But the MultiECUscan lead is only £8!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mate, that looks amazing!! What do you mean by limitations and US bias? Does it do airbags? Does it do other makes/models?

I found one on the bay for £60 from the US. But the MultiECUscan lead is only £8!

Thanks!

MES is great for FIAT group cars.. but useless if you work on french,
ford ,etc,

decide what you are going to do with it..,
Charlie

MES is great for FIAT group cars.. but useless if you work on french,
ford ,etc,

decide what you are going to do with it..,
Charlie

Well I want to work on other makes ideally, but for 8quid it must be worth it.

What extra will it give me compared to that bluetooth thing?

Thanks

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi,
I'm not an expert..
OBD2 is the industry standard OnBoardDiagnostics ,
1 plug fits all units in passenger cars since @year 2000 , and they all read BASIC stuff,
however there are lots of "manufacturer specific" codes.. so that's where the MES comes in for Fiat / Alfa group cars,

should read all basic car engine codes..possibly some airbag, PAS too,
but not on all cars / faults,
I hope that helps.. as you say for less than a Tenner why not..!!,
Charlie

OBD2 is the industry standard OnBoardDiagnostics ,
1 plug fits all units in passenger cars since @year 2000 , and they all read BASIC stuff,
however there are lots of "manufacturer specific" codes.. so that's where the MES comes in for Fiat / Alfa group cars,

should read all basic car engine codes..possibly some airbag, PAS too,
but not on all cars / faults,
I hope that helps.. as you say for less than a Tenner why not..!!,

This, in answer to the OP, is why I said that the plug-in Bluetooth module had "limitations". It will read the main codes and clear them, fine... -- but, because it's set up, currently, only for specific American models (which they are trying to improve: so, eventually, it will hopefully also cover European marques...), it doesn't do airbags, etc. -- and the reporting and live monitoring is also, therefore, basic: especially when compared to the mega-functionality of MES. :(

As a present, though, that just sits quietly, doing its stuff, it's been very handy, though -- especially when I replaced the speedo cluster; and could see what speed the car 'thought' it was doing! (y)

Wouldn't be without MES, though, and a full set of cables -- even with just two OBD2-compliant cars in the household...! :)

I still want one for the iPhone though. This is cheap, will it work on the Fiats?

For that sort of money, it's probably worth getting, and then finding out...! Again, compared to MES, the functionality will be very limited, I would guess.... :rolleyes:

Can't remember what OBD2 software exists on for the iPhone -- but check the reviews carefully before trying: I seem to remember that quite a large proportion of it is junk...! :eek:

I'd also have a search for reviews of WiFi-based dongles in cars... -- not as robust as Bluetooth, supposedly; but, as I haven't tried any, can't really comment.... :eek:

For that sort of money, it's probably worth getting, and then finding out...! Again, compared to MES, the functionality will be very limited, I would guess.... :rolleyes:

Can't remember what OBD2 software exists on for the iPhone -- but check the reviews carefully before trying: I seem to remember that quite a large proportion of it is junk...! :eek:

I'd also have a search for reviews of WiFi-based dongles in cars... -- not as robust as Bluetooth, supposedly; but, as I haven't tried any, can't really comment.... :eek:

OK, I've bagged them both. No doubt I'll be returning for osme advice on how to use them as soon as they arrive :)

Thanks guys

Thanks all for this thread - this is exactly what I was looking for info on. I have previously used a laptop and MES to reset my oil change interval counter on a Croma, which works great. The problem is that I've now switched from a laptop to a desktop, so wondered what (if any) android app/dongle could do the same. By the sound of it, probably none.

I'll probably park the car next to the study window and try MES via a USB extension. I just remember that MES can be a bit touchy sometimes, so it might have problems with a 5m USB cable (timing issues?).

If anyone knows a way of resetting the oil change interval using Android I'd be extremely grateful.

Back