Tuning m32 gearbox short shifter

Currently reading:
Tuning m32 gearbox short shifter

aurick86

Established member
Hi,

Has anybody installed a short shifter on the m32 gearbox? see a lot of VXR owners with the m32 gearbox try these.
I saw there are a few options out there:
- M-tech short shifter
- other manufactured short shifter
- DIY short shifter.. which would involve drilling a hole and mounting one of those screws you find holding the lifters on the tailgate.

Here are a few pictures of the selector:
m32shortshifter2.jpg

m32shortshifter3.jpg

m32shortshifter4.jpg

P.S. the red one is the short shifter; it make the shift shorter by moving the gear cable engaging point on the selector closer to the pivoting point.

Last edited:
- DIY short shifter.. which would involve drilling a hole and mounting one of those screws you find holding the lifters on the tailgate.

Or just cutting and welding the original one.

No idea which box the Delta uses, but FIAT boxes (of course, it may not be a FIAT/Alfa/Lancia box!) always have identifying numbers stamped on them.

They cost about 170 euro..at the producer...
I think the Lancia Delta 165 uses the 2.0 multijet which uses a different gearbox. just find the gearbox and google..if it is used on other cars (not in the Fiat Group) then you have better chances of finding a short shift...like the fact that the m32 is used in Vauxhall/Opel/GM vehicles..

You cannot cut and weld because it's aluminum with a riveted steel insert with a spherical end.
But you can cut it; then drill a hole in the aluminum part( closer to the pivoting point) and then insert a nut and screw with a sphere on the end (like the ones used with the tailgate lifters..they seeem to have a similar diameter to the ball)... i will probably do this sometime after the holidays .. and of course measure the distance of the shift and report back (with photos if i don't get sidetracked).

Last edited:
Yesterday i finally DIY-ed the sort shifter on my T-jet Bravo.
It feel so much better.
I would recommend it to anyone, it takes less than a hour and the feel is greatly improved.
I detached the original selector, cut out the original ball end( on which the gear cable attaches to) drilled and tapped a new 8mm thread about 2/3 of the original distance, fit the selector back on to the gear box. Then i saw i needed to replace the cable end, because it was touching. i used the end off a tailgate lifter, together with a bit of 6mm screw a longer nut ( connecting nut) and a lot of Loctite.. and now my gear selections are nice, crisp, sharp, shorter and it feels better put together.

Sorry I did not measure the gear stick throw before the mod, but you could do that on the standard shifter; I also don't have pictures ..might take a few later today.

You're not really tweaking anything to do with the internals. Just the connector. The actual gearbox isn't altered and responds the same. It just allows you to need less movement when changing gear. Great for track days. Though I think it's better for city driving. Less work needed to change up and down the gears with stop start traffic.

Though I will add I don't think the gear shifts are long on the Bravo. So I wouldn't do this personally.

Having driven a lot of cars over the years, I'd say the Bravo boxes are pretty good as standard :)

Everibody with the M32 gearbox should see how much play there is in the linkage; mine was about 6 mm, i wouldn't call that good. And exactlly that part does not come as a replaceable piece; I'm talking about the linkage on the end of the selector cable, the part that clips on to the ball-end.

You can get the replacement replacement part for the straight swap( i already mentioned that in the first post).. it's just to expensive for me; no one is saying to do it like i did, it's just how i did it.

Here are a few pictures of what the gear selector arm looks like now.
ss (1).jpg

ss (2).jpg

ss (3).jpg

I know it's not the prettiest, but the difference in shifting feel is incredible , not just the shorter throw which is ~3 cm shorter between 1st gear and 2nd gear ; All the guys at the local Fiat meet think the same.

I do agree there are a lot of M32 that feel better than mine did in standard form.

Last edited:
Back