General very awkward to fill tank past 7/8.

Currently reading:
General very awkward to fill tank past 7/8.

That and only gently squeezing the trigger - build it up slowly...my old Punto was a horror to fill up.

Just be aware that if it keeps cutting the pump out, it can trip the entire pump lol
(Managed that a couple of times at Sainsbury's - when I apologised for being awkward the bloke said he knew it was a Punto even before looking at the car lol)

My previous 09 Bravo and 07 100HP were easy - brimmed near enough first cut out (gauge other side of F line with one top up) and pump nozzle upright, , the Mk2 punto was awkward, had to partially withdraw and hold nozzle at 45 degrees. The 500L is near impossible at 2/3rds pumps, dealer says expect it to be awkward but it's more than awkward. If they are all like mine I can't believe there isn't a long thread already! Tank entrance seems narrow and sharply down so not sure about the angles like eg Mk2 panto, plus the restrictor is tight (to prevent diesel nozzles going in). 500L filler I think is on its first fiat (cap less and restricted) . I'll have to be a bit rougher trying that some more.. Been trying for 6 months to get a knack. Thanks for advice :)

Last edited:
Have you tried the nozzle at different angles? I do it at a near upside down angle on the Bravo and mk3 Panda :)

I'm not sure you can on the 500L.

For a start it does not have a fuel filler cap the flap has a rubber gasket that encloses the filler neck.

The filler pipe is a very precise fit around the filler nozzle and will only slide in if it is orientated the correct way and is slid in to the point it abuts against a ridge on the nozzle.

As you slide it in it disengages a metal flap which when no nozzle is in the neck 'seals' the filler in the absence of a traditional cap.

On completion of filling you withdraw the nozzle easing it downwards and hold it for ten secs to allow any residual fuel to drain from the nozzle. You then with draw it completely and the metal flap in the filler neck snaps shut.

m5abA1I.png

I think the only way to avoid the OP's problem would be to 'feather' the last bit in but that could end up overfilling it.

Personally I just fill it with the nozzle handle fully open until it clicks off for the first time and don't try to get any more in, I'm pretty sure at that point it is virtually full any way but will check next time I fill it up.

sounds like yours is filling significantly better than mine :-(

TBH I haven't checked how full it is when I fill it up but I'm almost certain it's more than 7/8th's.

We use a local ASDA for our petrol in the main.

I will check when I next fill though and post back, we are due to fill it in the next few days.

It's almost like the fit is to tight so air can't get out as you fill, so tank under pressure , if I drive it for say 5 miles, I have tried again and got another £12 in!

I must admit it is a design that I had not seen before and when we first filled it up I briefly thought they'd forgotten to fit a fuel filler cap at the factory....:)

It is a very neat fit (I wouldn't say overly tight though) but it is designed like that presumably to stop fuel spillage.

Therefore I'm assuming the tank must vent elsewhere when it is being filled. If so the problems you seem to be having are symptomatic with that vent/breather being blocked.

Interesting reading this thread as the new shape Pandas also have the "Smart Fuel" system in place. Although I am guessing the 500L has got a larger tank than the Panda?

I exclusively fill our car up at the local Shell garage (V-Power unleaded). I have had a couple of occasions where the filler has been a bit tricky to get into place, but I have never had the problems suggested on here. Have always been able to fill it right to the brim.

As MEP said earlier on, having a little wriggle around with the fuel nozzle has always worked when I have had trouble. But that doesn't seem to be the cure here!:eek:

I must admit it is a design that I had not seen before and when we first filled it up I briefly thought they'd forgotten to fit a fuel filler cap at the factory....:)

It is a very neat fit (I wouldn't say overly tight though) but it is designed like that presumably to stop fuel spillage.

Therefore I'm assuming the tank must vent elsewhere when it is being filled. If so the problems you seem to be having are symptomatic with that vent/breather being blocked.

it's a common feature on the latest generation of cars..latest KA has ..so maybe the lil'500 will have it soon too..??,
I suspect a thread on which Fuel companys nozzles work best may be helpful.., :idea:
Charlie

it's a common feature on the latest generation of cars..latest KA has ..so maybe the lil'500 will have it soon too..??,
I suspect a thread on which Fuel companys nozzles work best may be helpful.., :idea:
Charlie

Yeah, that might be a good shout!

Anyway, I can vouch for Shell garages being OK. I have put in regular unleaded sometimes too and that has been fine.

Yeah, that might be a good shout!

Anyway, I can vouch for Shell garages being OK. I have put in regular unleaded sometimes too and that has been fine.

I seem to recall there are @ 3 x manufacturers of the pump nozzles.. that will be the difference,
1 chain of outlets will use 1 brand of "outlets":rolleyes:

I've not got an L but my sons old punto Mk1 could only get 1/2 tank ..ANYTHING more got spat out on the floor..:bang:

so I fully appreciate what a PIA it can be ;)

charlie

I am told it is an actuator in the throttle body that vents the tank and there would be a dash error if not working (hmm, but does that work when engine off). I always assumed air came around the outside of the nozzle when filling when displaced by fuel as most nozzles fit a car (with "standard" filler/cap arrangement) like a dick in a sock. So if it isn't the venting and is Ok at some pumps then there either isn't a fault (me not got the "knack" - but I seem to manage with any other car..) or its something very subtle around the filler area of my car. Probably have to live with it, means never filling up at Tesco for example - I cannot get it to fill to full at Tesco garages. Hmmm. Most success has been Sainsbury's and Shell but still not great.

Glad it isn't as bad as spitting it back at me at 1/2 full that is a joke :bang: Seems a bit of a "FIAT" type of fault, give you a car powered by fuel that you can't get into it. Suppose it can't break down if you can't fuel it (y)

Maybe I should top up everytime with the funnel that you get in the boot for emergencies (as you can't just pour into the tank you get a funnel with every car) ;)

Last edited:
Charlie

Is the KA's system the same as the 500L's though?

I have just had a look at my daughters 13 plate KA Edge and it looks different. For one it looks like the filler top and flap is plastic and it doesn't look as neat a fit for the nozzle.

Plus of course it has a traditional petrol cap which the 500L doesn't. Or are the even later KA's the same as the 500L perhaps?

The 500L system is very much like this one on an Ypsilon

Ypsilon_12.jpg

Is the KA's system the same as the 500L's though?

I have just had a look at my daughters 13 plate KA Edge and it looks different. For one it looks like the filler top and flap is plastic and it doesn't look as neat a fit for the nozzle.

Plus of course it has a traditional petrol cap which the 500L doesn't. Or are the even later KA's the same as the 500L perhaps?

The 500L system is very much like this one on an Ypsilon

Ypsilon_12.jpg

Is the 500L your comparing to KA with Petrol also? Or Diesel :confused:

EDIT, just released the pic isn't a KA :eek:

Ford system has been around longer than Fiats, so suspect its going to be their own part on each model rather than a joint venture?

Last edited:
Posting back as promised -

Filled up today at our local ASDA. Filled to the point that the pump first clicked off, no further (this is what I normally do). Gauge showed bang on full.

So it looks to me as if there is a possible issue with the OP's tank not venting properly when it's being filled.

Of course it could be an issue with the pumps being faulty too but this seems unlikely given I read the issue as happening at different sites.

Back