General Panda 4x4 Antarctica ordered - anyone else thinking of taking the plunge?

Currently reading:
General Panda 4x4 Antarctica ordered - anyone else thinking of taking the plunge?

DismasX

Well though I've loved owning my 2011 500 twinair plus that I've had from new, the winter last year convinced me I needed something that could cope a little better with getting me home to the wilds of North Yorkshire in the snow.

After much consideration I decided on the limited edition Panda 4x4 Antarctica partly because I would've ordered all of the upgrades included anyway (especially the hight adjustable seat) and even more importantly because I understand they are actually in the country which means no long wait for build and delivery :)

I drove a diesel 4x4 which was surprisingly good and I suspect more efficient but I just love the sound and eagerness of the twinair. Add to that the fact I'll be doing some motorway miles and the twinair wins out for me.

Placed the order last Saturday and got the call from the dealer today to say they're expecting delivery next week! Now that's what I call service.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else looking to pick up one of these and any tips or things to be aware of in general with my first Panda 4x4.

Excellent!! Have seen them online- they super cool!!

We were hoping to get the 4x4 in Oz but no go - just trekking 2 wheel drive at $27000 - bit rich for non 4x4 ????
Enjoy!!!

Well though I've loved owning my 2011 500 twinair plus that I've had from new, the winter last year convinced me I needed something that could cope a little better with getting me home to the wilds of North Yorkshire in the snow.

After much consideration I decided on the limited edition Panda 4x4 Antarctica partly because I would've ordered all of the upgrades included anyway (especially the hight adjustable seat) and even more importantly because I understand they are actually in the country which means no long wait for build and delivery :)

I drove a diesel 4x4 which was surprisingly good and I suspect more efficient but I just love the sound and eagerness of the twinair. Add to that the fact I'll be doing some motorway miles and the twinair wins out for me.

Placed the order last Saturday and got the call from the dealer today to say they're expecting delivery next week! Now that's what I call service.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else looking to pick up one of these and any tips or things to be aware of in general with my first Panda 4x4.

Hi DismasX,

Welcome to the Panda section!

Sounds like a great purchase. I love stuff like the penguin motif, so where others might not be so keen, I'd be more than happy to have it on my car!

Anyway, now you've ordered the Antartica model, that means you have to go to Antartica, right?:eek:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25287806

£15,695.00 OTR and you don't even get a space-saver spare!
Nearly £5,000 more than I paid for my Duster 4x4, which is also white with some black bits. I could get a lot of Penguin decals for that sort of money.
I hope Fiat dealers are offering meaty discounts.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm fairly confident in the engine choice having done 48,000 in the 500 TA. I have to say my 4x4 will be remaining sans penguins Super Uwe!
Myhotpunto I'm amazed they're not offering the 4x4 down there :confused:
doctorchris I must admit the price tag did give me pause but since I do the whole PCP thing I've been able to swap the 500 in (positive equity after 2 years) and am only paying a small premium per month for the benefit of 4x4. I did look at the Duster but it seems to keep getting slammed in the reviews for a lack of refinement, is bigger than I needed and when you throw in the additional cost of VED, fuel and insurance just wasn't for me. Not to mention that in my opinion the only one that looked okay was at the top of the price range which is about the same price as the Panda. I'm assuming from your comments that you rate it - which engine did you go for?

Thanks for all the replies. I'm fairly confident in the engine choice having done 48,000 in the 500 TA. I have to say my 4x4 will be remaining sans penguins Super Uwe!

Myhotpunto I'm amazed they're not offering the 4x4 down there :confused:

doctorchris I must admit the price tag did give me pause but since I do the whole PCP thing I've been able to swap the 500 in (positive equity after 2 years) and am only paying a small premium per month for the benefit of 4x4. I did look at the Duster but it seems to keep getting slammed in the reviews for a lack of refinement, is bigger than I needed and when you throw in the additional cost of VED, fuel and insurance just wasn't for me. Not to mention that in my opinion the only one that looked okay was at the top of the price range which is about the same price as the Panda. I'm assuming from your comments that you rate it - which engine did you go for?

Yeah I looked at the duster too and like you only liked the pricier ones and its too big for my needs really. I also asked myself "would I buy a Renault" answer no, so y would I buy a Rumanian Renault made in India?! Besides, the panda is now made in Italy - how cool is that? :)

I know i hear you !!! glad we got Panda at all!! (If it doesnt say TOYOTA on the badge people cant cope here ??) as you know aussies are 4x4 mad not sure whos bright idea it was to decline them......???

deeyup I came across the thread where you were talking about it :) Made me laugh because true to form I went in and asked the main dealer about it and they knew nothing!!!

deeyup I came across the thread where you were talking about it :) Made me laugh because true to form I went in and asked the main dealer about it and they knew nothing!!!

Yes, my friend is a Fiat sales manager, and I told him all about the antartica :D
It's not their faults though as Fiat UK seem very slow at keeping their dealers in the loop.
My buddy did tell me though when it was available to buy.

Last edited:
Update: Delivery status 40... I think that just means it's in the UK?

The dealer seems to think it may still be here next week but I'm a touch skeptical ;-)

Update: Status 45... Ready, Car is waiting for collection by transport company.

So it's getting closer though it still seems unlikely it'll arrive before Xmas.

...and yes I'll post some pics as soon as the car arrives :)

Update: Status 45... Ready, Car is waiting for collection by transport company.

So it's getting closer though it still seems unlikely it'll arrive before Xmas.

...and yes I'll post some pics as soon as the car arrives :)

Yeah, I think Christmas will come just a bit too soon now for your car to arrive before then. But certainly it's not long at all now!

Back