Off Topic DPF Removal to = MOT FAIL from 1/2/14

Currently reading:
Off Topic DPF Removal to = MOT FAIL from 1/2/14

published 4/12/13

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

New rules for MOT to test for diesel particulate filter
Organisation:
Department for Transport
Page history:published 4 December 2013 Policy:Reducing greenhouse gases and other emissions from transport Topics:Climate change and Transport Minister:Robert Goodwill MP
Diesel particulate filter check now required as part of MOT test.
MOT test
Tests for diesel cars and lorries are to be tightened up to ensure vehicles have a critical exhaust filter if one had originally been fitted as standard, Roads Minister Robert Goodwill has announced.

Garages and testing stations will be required check for a diesel particulate filter (DPF) in the inspection of the exhaust system as part of the MOT test (or annual test for heavy vehicles) from February 2014.

The vehicle will automatically fail the MOT test if the filter had been fitted as standard but is found to be no longer present.

The filter works by trapping solid particulate matter from exhaust gases. This type of filter has been in use for more than 20 years and helps meet European emission standards, improving air quality and health standards.

Some firms offer services to remove the filter, claiming it will improve the economy. But it is an offence to drive a vehicle that has been modified this way, as it will no longer meet the emissions standards the car achieved when it was approved for sale in the UK.

Roads Minister Robert Goodwill said:

I am very concerned that vehicles are being modified in a way that is clearly detrimental to people’s health and undoes the hard work car manufacturers have taken to improve emissions standards. It has become apparent the government had to intervene to clarify the position on particulate filter removal given the unacceptable negative impact on air quality.

This change to the MOT tests makes it clear – if you have this filter removed from your car it will fail the test.

The filters need to be ‘regenerated’ regularly through burning the soot to gas at a very high temperature, leaving behind a residue. If not carried out properly, regeneration can lead to a build up of soot, which can affect performance. This has led to some diesel vehicle owners opting to remove the filter, which makes their car illegal for road use.

More information can be found via the ‘Diesel particulate filters guidance note which will be updated to reflect the changes to the MOT test.

Roads media enquiries
Press enquiries
020 7944 3066
Out of hours
020 7944 4292
Public enquiries
0300 330 3000

Cant see them physically opening and checking every single car they get that may have one present - maybe the odd one randomly if at all

A visual inspection that the DPF housing is present will probably suffice

Cant see too many being worried, most are mapped now with the housing still present and no internals, though a few will probably get caught out that have gone with complete removal and blanking plates

All down to emissions at end of day, if the vehicle is passing comfortably i suppose thats all that really matters

Last edited:
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_740.htm

From reading that my understanding is as long as it's not going to be leaving a smoke screen behind it's fine :confused:

If you've ever witnessed a diesel smoke test on MOT, you'll have seen the huge amount of crap they can blow out the back and still pass under the current rules.

I'd assume the same test for a Factory-fitted DPF model would be given much stricter limits (ie, virtually zero particulates) under the new regs.

how come cars that are newer than mine don't have a DPF I'm confused by this, do they have some thing else instead?

Because some cars came with them before they were made a requirement and some didn't.

Newer cars have the dpf on the end of the cat under the bonnet where it gets hotter so doesn't cause as much trouble. Perhaps you have been looking in the wrong place?

Back