Technical Transmission Fault AGAIN

Currently reading:
Technical Transmission Fault AGAIN

fused

Sitting in rush hour traffic, on a slight grade facing uphill... Foot on the brake, traffic looked like it was going to move, foot off brake slightly on gas and traffic stopped suddenly.

Check Engine Message and Yellow Light....
Three times the Transmission Fault message showed up with check the owners manual...

NOW this was at the dealer Monday, no problems found... They reprogrammed the transmission CPU.

SO I'm going to give it a few days for the engine light to go out and THEN attempt to reproduce this ON DEMAND! This seems to be how it happened before.

Being on the brake, off the brake and slightly on the gas and hit the brake again, some combination of this seems to trip the lights.

Not thinking that this is a serious problem but FIAT can't do anything about it unless the lights stay on (which they don't) OR I can reproduce on demand (Which I will figure out)...

The car runs perfectly fine....

Sitting in rush hour traffic, on a slight grade facing uphill... Foot on the brake, traffic looked like it was going to move, foot off brake slightly on gas and traffic stopped suddenly.

Check Engine Message and Yellow Light....
Three times the Transmission Fault message showed up with check the owners manual...

NOW this was at the dealer Monday, no problems found... They reprogrammed the transmission CPU.

SO I'm going to give it a few days for the engine light to go out and THEN attempt to reproduce this ON DEMAND! This seems to be how it happened before.

Being on the brake, off the brake and slightly on the gas and hit the brake again, some combination of this seems to trip the lights.

Not thinking that this is a serious problem but FIAT can't do anything about it unless the lights stay on (which they don't) OR I can reproduce on demand (Which I will figure out)...

The car runs perfectly fine....

Interesting this - because it sounds like a similar scenario to what pre-empts me getting the ESC light but mine is a manual.

Engine light is out...as expected.

NOW to see if I can reproduce it again......on DEMAND!

I know that Fiat told me that even if I got the codes, they'd have to see then on their readers... But still, if I had the codes and this keeps happening.......I could push the issue with information to back it up...

New car technology......isn't it just great???????
Definitely a pain in the ass.....

If you have the Hill Holder you can most likely recreate the issue by pressing the brake pedal 2 or 3 times rather than just the once as you pull up on a hill.

I used to experience the same with my Grande Punto but there was never an actual "fault"...

Last edited:
If you have the Hill Holder you can most likely recreate the issue by pressing the brake pedal 2 or 3 times rather than just the once as you pull up on a hill.

I used to experience the same with my Grande Punto but there was never an actual "fault"...

Now that is interesting, I do have hill holder on mine I will try to re-create that - thanks.

Well trys as I might I can't replicate this issue with a double press of the brake and it appears to be very random still.

In fact it hasn't done it for ages.....no doubt saying that will ensure it returns.:D

Well Thank You for trying MJG....
I'm sure it is nothing...just some sensor or whatever that gets active when some chain of events occurs exactly....

Both times, I was stopped before it complained. Never while in motion.
So whatever it things is going wrong with the transmission, is happening before anything is really moving...

I will pin it down :)

Update:
Was able to reproduce twice.

Talked with Fiat service manager...
Bulletins are coming in from fiat,
temp sensor on transmission is one possible cause.
Two footed driving def causes this ( I do not do this - my mini is a stick , I know how to drive one and I don't drive the fiat like that)...

So he ok'd me taking it on the Boston trip, says it should be ok for that but wants to see it as soon as I get back. He also asked that I let him know anything else that I find out. Not a problem!

He also said a lot more are coming into the shop with complaints about this. 500s and 500Ls with engine lights.

I'll keep ya posted...

Back