Technical Front suspension overhaul - advice needed

Currently reading:
Technical Front suspension overhaul - advice needed

Hi there, I've got a 2004 1.2 8v and i'm looking to totally replace the front suspension. The shocks are leaking once again! The car has done 110,000 miles and in that time I've had:

x2 top mounts (fiat ones are rubbish)
x3 sets of shocks (2 fiat ones and one set of koni str.t's which are leaking - not happy with the quality of them)
x3 sets of wishbones (just recently changed)
x5 sets of drop links

As i want to keep the car going for as long as possible i'm planning on changing the top mounts, dust covers, shocks, drop-links, anti-roll bar bushes and springs.

I'm looking for better quality and durability, but don't want to pay a massive amount. i'd like to keep the car standard.

I've done some research but cant decide on which makes are best:

Top mounts - Lemforder, KYB or Monroe
Shocks - Bilstein b4 or KYB excel-G
Springs - lemforder or KYB
drop-links - Meyle

Any thoughts? or different suggestions from experience?
Many thanks :)

Hi there,

Crikey thats a lot of front suspension parts for 110,000 miles.....

I am running a 2006 Multijet with 135,000 miles (done em all myself as bought new), and Ive only just, two days ago, replaced the two front Anti Roll Bar Links. And thats it for front suspension in 135,000 miles. But did get a pair of rear shocks done under warranty about a month after I bought it newback in 2006.

Do you think there may be some factor thats making all your suspension wear so damn fast ? I'm sure the number of parts you mention cannot be regular wear and tear. Or are you using it for rallying ? No offence intended by the way - I too am curious if someone can come up with an explanation - and advice for the new suspension parts.

So far I've found a lot of suspension parts to sub-standard in terms of quality. When i bought the car with 36,000 the front shocks were leaking, i replaced them with fiat ones, just to find 45,000 miles later they were leaking again! The car failed its first MOT @17,000 because of drop-links. The rest of the car is a quality product.

That's why i was wondering if other brands would give better durability. Obviously, you get what you pay for!

our '04 1.1 only got it's 1st overhaul last year @ 65K miles,=we bought @6K DEC '04
the N-S front damper had been a little misty for 2 x MOT's , and the ride was getting a Little LOUD over rough surfaces..

so I bought 2 x Damper units + 2 x droplinks from Shop4parts,
the units that came were BIRTH - I'd NEVER heard of them ..but the packaging was VERY good , and the actual component paint + finish was also high ,
so I had reasonable hopes..,
18 months and @ 12K miles later = the ride quality has certainly been restored, much quieter also,

the deal I got was the cheapest I could find = better than EBAY.!!,
so far I'm happy,
haven't needed to do anything else either..,

on changing the struts out I DID notice 1 x top mount bearing was a bit rougher than the other so it got a good soaking + lube while it was accessible,

our car hasn't been cosseted - BUT doesn't do too much country lane or road-hump duty,
I suspect that helps a LOT,
Charlie

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack thread here, but there seems a few of you guys have done a bit of an overhaul and i'm looking at similar.

I have a decent knock when hitting a bump from the pass side whilst turning right. Any common issues there?

I was going to upgrade the suspension in the new year with some lowering springs and Koni shocks. Would you guys advise top mounts, rack ends and wishbones whilst I'm at it?

Panda 100hp BTW.

Thanks Dave

Back