Technical Check Engine Light

Currently reading:
Technical Check Engine Light

fused

Need some advise please

I have 200 miles on this new 500L Trekking and I have a yellow solid check engine light.

Is it safe to drive to work?
I tried Fiat but its sunday.. I'll call them again tomorrow and schedule getting it in.

Thanks in advance for any info...

From what I can read in the manual it's an error in the injection system.
You can continue driving (avoid revving it to much and avoid high speeds) but should get it to the dealer as soon as possible.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Checked the oil, was low. Put in a quart and the engine light went off...

When I checked the oil. the cross hair marker on the stick, was only half way up that mark.

So is Fiat that cheap that they cheaped me out of a quart!!!!!

UPDATE:

Checked the oil, was low. Put in a quart and the engine light went off...

When I checked the oil. the cross hair marker on the stick, was only half way up that mark.

So is Fiat that cheap that they cheaped me out of a quart!!!!!

You have either used a lot in 200 miles (A heck of lot!), you have a leak (which you would notice I guess or yes it has not been correctly filled at the factory which really should have been picked up by the dealer at the PDI.(n)

Keep an eye on it though.

Oil light doesn't come on until oil level is below minimum level, turning the engine off may of reset the engine light (reset after 3 EOBD cycles if fault not re-detected) so to be on the safe side I would let the dealer have a look at the car.

If you have the twin-air model you MUST use the correct specification of oil.

Oil light doesn't come on until oil level is below minimum level, turning the engine off may of reset the engine light (reset after 3 EOBD cycles if fault not re-detected) so to be on the safe side I would let the dealer have a look at the car.

If you have the twin-air model you MUST use the correct specification of oil.

Actually speaking to the dealer would be the correct thing do also because if it appears they haven't PDI'd it correctly (ie not checked the level) they do need to be aware.

Thanks for the replies

i will call both the dealer and the service dept tomorowl

I haven't noticed oil on the ground and I am not hard on a new car that hasn't even been past a normal break in phase... So I'm guessing its a lack if prep on their side... Tomorrow I will make sure that they are very aware.

I will keep you posted so that the info is out here for anybody else who may encounter this..

Thanks guys...

get them to supply you with a Quart of the correct oil for the vehicle,
then you will be safe for further unscheduled top-ups,
at @ 160 HP it Won't be a twin-air..

BUT certain engines can need a little careful driving to get the oil-control rings bedded in correctly
( common on twin-air engines,)

get a few hundred miles on the motor, then once warm do a few "gear-too-low" downshifts to get the engine over-revving while decellerating - perfect conditions to bed-in the piston rings,
Charlie

Called service this morning.
The light is out, so I am to monitor the rest of the week.
If it comes back on, drop it off and drive the loaner home.

On the way to work, all was fine.

SO I will monitor....

And once I know that it was just a quirk, I will work on seating the rings...
Great advice, advice that I've taken before and my cars last a long time...

Back