Grande Punto Steering Issues

Currently reading:
Grande Punto Steering Issues

Jackdavid1987

Hi guys,

Not entirely sure this the correct thread but here goes. Over the last fee months when I have turned on my Grande Punto the steering is
often extremely heavy and can barely be turned. I then turn the ignition off and back on again and it works fine. Today whilst my girlfriend was actually driving when all of a sudden the steering became very heavy.

Anyone had this before or have any idea what this could be?

Best, Jack

Best asked on the GP section. but often the electric power steering will throw a wobbly if the voltage to it drops.

Check alternator output (easy DIY with a voltmeter) and battery condition (many factors will do it for nowt).

Thank you. We have had nothing but trouble with it since we got it. Every couple of months it would randomly run out of battery and not start, after a few seconds if being jumped its fine again, so I recently got a new battery. With the battery issues and power steering issues could it be electric problems?

Alternator or bad earth, maybe. Sometimes badly fitted aftermarket stereos can cause high drains.

Not sure of where the main earths are on the GP, but generally from battery to one wing and top of gearbox to the other. Well worth dismantling, scrapping clean, coating with vaseline (etc.) and bolting up tight.

Back