General Advice on Fiat Ducato 2.8jtd lwb chassis

Currently reading:
General Advice on Fiat Ducato 2.8jtd lwb chassis

Timncfc

Hi all,
Currently driving a 96 Ducato 2.2 and i really love it, however my friends uncle is selling his soon and was wondering are these a good model? Fiat ducato 2.8jtd lwb chassis, Ace Firenze, has anyone got one?

Have got the bug and would love a newer one, i await your replies with interest

Very reliable and good on fuel considering the power outout. Usual problem of gear change linkage is all I can think of to worry about.

What sort of money will it go for?

I have a 2006 2.8 JTD coming up for sale in a couple of months. Second owner, 115,000 mostly careful motorway miles, very regular services. This is the facelift model just before the new shape in 2007. I get 29 - 31mpg as my average loaded, but do not accelerate harshly.

Have owned three 2.8's in a row, just about to buy my first new one.

Which ever of the 2.8's you go for generally a good all round van if looked after, and oh yes, it goes uphill easily even when loaded.

Can't comment on the habitation side of the motorhome but have an Adria built on the 2.8jtd LWB chassis (circa 2005) and given us good service mechanically, does almost 30mpg on a good run and is very easy to drive.
There are a few niggles:
Can be a bit noisy at speed.
Gear ratios a bit close and changing down needed on long hilly routes.
Front radiator xmember and sump prone to rusting.
Windscreen scuttle drains over gearbox and linkages prone to seizing if not maintained.
Being a common rail engine there are lots of control electronics which can give problems without maintenance.
Rear brakes can 'grab' if applied whilst moving.
Not OBD2 compliant but free software available for error management codes.
Front wheel bearings prone to fail bearing in mind they spend most of their time doing nothing and supporting up to a 1000kg load.
Imobilsers can be a pain in the neck.
Italians must have small feet as pedals close together.
Good bits:
Reasonably easy to take apart and maintain.
Don't rust as badly as some alternative cabs and chassis.
New and used spares available.
Can get a workshop manual on CD (you'll need it to understand the Fiat logic).
Lots about so Fiat must have done something right!
Considering they pull around up to 4000kg remarkably agile.

And lots of knowledgeable Fiat Forum members here with a wealth of information! You could do a lot worse.

I think its a 2005 model and about £21,000 i think will be the asking price, would that be about right ??

Back