General Anything nice to say about the croma?

Currently reading:
General Anything nice to say about the croma?

Ahewitt

Hey guys, been reading all the topics and post about the croma it's rare to find anything nice about it.. Here I am thinking well despite all the problems from it, it's not actually that bad. I'm a new owner and it wasn't by choice but more a price thing because its was cheap, low insurance and diesel. I had a 1.6 Astra before I bought the croma and is still missed. The croma is no where near as good looking or a fashionable so iv had a lot of stick from my mates everyday in fact and still waiting for the cheap croma gags of the day today. Fiat homo been the main one.
Ok iv had to replace the EGR valve and track rod ends and do a lot of cleaning the sensors etc oh and now iv got "the dreaded wheel wobble" as I found out on here lol but it's on 85k miles and do you know what when I'm driving it I forget what it looks like and the **** It's caused me and love driving it!
On the motorway It cruses at 75-80 and a lot of the time I accidentally hit 100 without even knowing. I'm passing ****s showing off in there big poxy Audi's and mercs using less fuel and cheaper tax, cheaper insurance low carbon foot print and in comfort, I know there are just thinking WTF was that, that's just cruised passed me?? Was a it an Alfa, was it a merc... No it's a fiat croma!
I had the engine terra cleaned last week and runs even better despite the issues I stated above I really can't complain. Iv spent time and money on it but its worth it so show it some love lol..

Finally a positive thread! Yes the Croma has its problems, but no more than any other modern diesel. It has everything I want in a car, including the exclusivity. I have had a lot of positive comments from various places that I have been. The mods that I have done to mine may not be to everyone's taste but I think that it makes it even harder for people to work out what it is (y)

Most people who have a Croma (I've had mine from new) will encounter most of the "faults, failures & niggles" mentioned, get them sorted and then have a fairly reliable car.

On mine, one fault the reoccurs that I have given up fixing is the fuel filler flap "pop-out / pop-in" mechanism.

The Croma is a great car, brilliant towing machine and I love it.

It is just a shame that the basic GM mechanical components are so poor.

If I'd had a crystal ball when I bought mine and could have seen the repair invoices then I'd have bought something else. If it wasn't worthless then I'd trade it in for something else.

But I really like driving it - it's a proper posh car for silly money. You also have to remember that most modern european cars are crap - that's how they're designed, by politicians (emission controls) and accountants (penny pinching).

Cheers. Yes it runs really well. Cambelt changed recently too :)
I want to do something with the stereo (thinking of installing a tablet) but there's nothing else that needs doing right now (touch wood!)

Im another one,still besotted with my 2.4mjet.Just returned from a good two week tour with the caravan.Probably 1500miles,not a murma out of it.Best car ive ever had and seems to get better with age.Vastly underrated car.Good kept secret.

It is a really great car for the money you pay, when bought used of course. We got some premium comfort for small money and let's not forget, all the cars have problems more or less, but if you take care of it properly it will serve you well. Until I fell in love with the Croma, I wanted to buy a Skoda Octavia, seen few, but I didn't had any special feeling inside it or driving it, the design is the same since 15 years ago, it has the same or even more technical problems. But man, when I saw the Croma, I fell something from the first time, love the looks, then felt the comfort and then the performance, and I was like "Wow". Sure I had enough problems since I bought it but when i'm driving it I feel like first time we met, never lost the "love" :)

Im another one,still besotted with my 2.4mjet.Just returned from a good two week tour with the caravan.Probably 1500miles,not a murma out of it.Best car ive ever had and seems to get better with age.Vastly underrated car.Good kept secret.

This is one reason I'm considering a Croma, it's about the only Fiat able to pull a large caravan and for a bargain basement price :D

Did you get reasonable fuel economy or you not to worried about it?

Fuel economys not my top priority.I wouldnt expect good economy with 1500kg behind it,a roof box with two stunt scooters and a hold all bag in it.A mans mountain bike next to that.To top it all off two kids bikes on the rack between the car and caravan.Plus two adults and three kids.But it averaged 28 mpg and thats with me taking the michael out of every Audi and Bmw on the gradients of the A30 out of cornwall.Their cool mate.

Ano, when I was looking to see if they could b dropped to the floor croma coilovers are about 800quid whereas vectra ones can be had from 2-300quid :)

Did you fit them? There may be subtle differences between some Croma and Vectra parts concerning the suspension. The Croma's heavier so has bigger brake disks, not sure about the track width. I believe the front driveshaft is a bit longer, so perhaps it's wider to make up for the extra height? Perhaps the springs are stiffer to cope with the extra weight? I don't know, but my previous statement about it being a Vectra is only true some of the time.

Did you fit them? There may be subtle differences between some Croma and Vectra parts concerning the suspension. The Croma's heavier so has bigger brake disks, not sure about the track width. I believe the front driveshaft is a bit longer, so perhaps it's wider to make up for the extra height? Perhaps the springs are stiffer to cope with the extra weight? I don't know, but my previous statement about it being a Vectra is only true some of the time.

No not bought one yet, might be going to see one on Friday if I have time. Just going by Halilsons thread about lowering his

Fuel economys not my top priority.I wouldnt expect good economy with 1500kg behind it,a roof box with two stunt scooters and a hold all bag in it.A mans mountain bike next to that.To top it all off two kids bikes on the rack between the car and caravan.Plus two adults and three kids.But it averaged 28 mpg and thats with me taking the michael out of every Audi and Bmw on the gradients of the A30 out of cornwall.Their cool mate.

Cheers, ad be happy with that tbh for the times we'd have the caravan, bikes and roof box fitted. Another tick for the Croma :thumbup:

Back