Spacesaver Wheel

Currently reading:
Spacesaver Wheel

ted

Looking for a wheel on Ebay to replace the tin of foam in the boot
Found an advertised Punto wheel but the seller tells me its a standard size space saver wheel which will fit any factory fitted wheel on my Punto

This cant be right surely, I have 16" alloys and if I were to fit, lets say a 14" spacesaver on the front, both drive shafts would be going at different speeds
Wouldn`t this wreck the gearbox

The seller tells me their is only one size space saver which fits all
Am I being spun a yarn as they say

It depends what profile the tyre on the space saver is? It may 2 inches smaller but the taller tyre on it may well make up the difference in hight. Also there's no danger of knackering your gearbox as the differential inside will take care of that........ You will find that it'll pull to one side as you drive though hence the low speed rating and the need to replace it ASAP. I think there are various different sizes though so I think he's having you on there for example my old seicento had a red 135/13" space saver wheel and the actual road wheel was a 155/13?

... Am I being spun a yarn as they say

Not necessarily – although there are various size of space-saver.
The spacesaver will have a far deeper profile (sidewall) to compensate for the (say) 16” to 14” change – the revs/mile will be within tolerance.

The definitive answer is in your OH under “WHEELS” where the correct spec spare will be listed. If you don’t have an OH – what model do you have & what tyre size are you running on? I’ve a Series 2 (188) OH & GP (199) OH.

A space-saver from the earlier series 1 (176) & 2 (188) won’t be compatible with a GP (199) or later – as the PCD & centre bore are from the GM Corsa Delta stable.

061624Z

I will look at OH later, car is out at the moment
I will get back to you

Most cars come with a Near right sized spare

The space saver is a temporary tyre!
Max' speed of 50Kmh usually

They are designed to get you Home or a garage

If the car was smart / heavy TC controlled, you may have to turn this off to prevent it wanting to keep jabbing the brakes

I wouldnt worry about it, if its the standard spare that you normally get, it'll be fine

Like everything
its not a deep tread tyre, its not as wide, or as tall, its there for 1 reason only
For you to travel at a slower pace to the nearest garage

ziggy

Thanks all for that help

Now I found out this info

Evo Wheel
Rim size 6j x 16
Spacing 4 x 100
Hub 56.5mm
Offset = 43mm
rim type steel

VX Corsa Wheel
Rim size 6j x 16
Spacing 4 x 100
Hub 56.5mm
Offset = 40mm
rim type steel

So if a Corsa wheel is more accessible, could I fit that
except that my wheel is alloy and I have access to a Corsa alloy wheel

Any ideas

Problem now resolved
According to my handbook the spare can be a 15" wheel with the correct tyre ( cant recall what)
Visited my local scrap yard and we found a 15" Astra Wheel with the correct spec
Even had the correct tyre fitted with 4mm tread
Total sum paid £15

Back