Technical Warm start and when driving problems

Currently reading:
Technical Warm start and when driving problems

theridler

Hi everyone

This post is about my beloved '02 1.9 jtd elx multipla

I've been reading through loads of other threads about the problems I'm having but I cannot find one that totally matches so before I go buying parts I thought I'd get some thoughts from people who know their multiplas.

Now and again mine multipla will go into limp mode with the normal warnings. I pull over, stop for a minute or 2 and then all is well. This normally happens when the car is under load ie going up a hill or towing.

I also have more regular problems starting from warm where I've left it about 20 minutes or so. The car turns over with no problems but will not start. When left for a shorter or longer period the problem does not present.

I'm thinking crankshaft sensor could cause both. Anyone agree or have an alternative?

P.s. the airflow sensor is not it as I get both problems with it plugged in and unplugged.

Thank you everyone

Sounds like mine (same model, same year)! :rolleyes:
I replaced my Crank Sensor a couple of weeks or so ago, not had the 'warm start' problem since.

I'm still getting the Engine Management Light and warning message occasionally, which I was expecting, as I was fairly sure it wasn't connected to the Sensor/Starting issue anyway.

I have a Code Reader now, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
I'd recommend getting one for starters.
It'll cost you less than getting the car checked once at a Garage, and you can use it anytime, so it'll have paid for itself the first time you use it. (y)

Thanks BikeDoc

A code reader is on its way to me as I type.

Just one other thing to add to my original post having read some other seemingly less related threads.

I noticed one person was having trouble with a low battery voltage. At times, mine is reading just 11.9V. Having checked further, the voltage at the battery is 13.35V idle with no load, 13.08V with lots turned on. Running the engine up to 2500rpm does not increase it beyond 13.08V.

Could I need a new alternator?

How old is the Battery?
You should usually see around 14V at the Battery Terminals at idle, a little more when the revs rise.
Check the voltage at the Clamps of the Terminals, then at the Battery posts themselves (Engine idling).
Any discernible difference (lower at the Posts) would suggest the Clamps and Posts need a good clean, I'd do that anyway, just to rule that out as a cause (or part of it).

If you go to Halfords, or anywhere that supplies Batteries (Kwik-Fit, ATS, Euromaster, etc), they should do you a free check of your Battery's capacity.

A low Battery voltage can throw up many spurious warnings on the Multipla, as I suspect you've read about already, but I don't think it actually causes any 'hard' faults.

It's worth checking any Earthing points you can find as well, a dirty/corroded Earth Strap connection can cause all sorts of problems.
Check the main Battery Earth lead for starters.

Last edited:
Battery is 18 months old. No issues between clamps and posts. Looks like a new alternator and a new sensor.

Back