Technical Repairing buttons on key fob

Currently reading:
Technical Repairing buttons on key fob

kezzy1966

Just thought I would pass on a fix I found for key fobs with buttons that simply do not bounce/ click anymore.

My mother-in-law has a blue key fob with
a that key flicks out plus 3 buttons: door open, door close, boot open. The middle one was 'crushed' and stayed depressed. The red led would flash when the battery was inserted.

Pop off the battery cover
With a small sharp blade, pop out the 'fiat' badge on the key fob this will reveal a small cross read screw, undo it.
Carefully open the rest of the key fob - WATCH OUT FOR THE SPRING POPPING OUT ! - (recover the spring from the other side of room ;-)
Separate the different bits, remove the circuit boad etc.

The buttons are held in shape by the rubber. They do not have metal springs.

Now the magic bit, take the bit of case with the just buttons on it (no electroinics just the plastic and rubber. Put kettle on and hold the plastic part - rubber side - over the steam. With a small screwdriver push the lttle plunger (so the rubber button looks the proper shape) out and wait for the steam to soften the rubber.

Obviously keep your fingers away from steam as it will burn you.

You should find the 'bounce back' is restored.

Now put all back together. All done.

I just used this manual for my GP and it worked the trick! Many thanks!!

You can remove the pressure pads without taking the keyfob apart. Carefully work a thin blade between the body and the flexible part and lift in several small stages. It's best to start at the narrow end.

Back