Technical Installing a new radio - help!

Currently reading:
Technical Installing a new radio - help!

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶

FiatActiveRadioHelp

Let me preface this by saying I am a dunce when it comes to cars and installing this radio is about the most technical I've ever gotten... and I've failed! Ha.

I've just bought a 2005 1.2 Fiat Active and want to replace the radio that was in it with a better one.

I bought a Pioneer DEH-1400UB CD RDS Tuner with WMA/MP3 Playback

Now, this is how I have it plugged in:

20130713_123022okkii.jpg

20130713_123028ayj59.jpg

Now, as far as I can tell, nothing other than those two inputs will plug in. However, when I turn the ignition on, nothing happens. It's brand new so it shouldn't be a fuse problem etc.

The wires at the back are a bit cut, and I was wondering is something meant to slot in here?:

20130713_123118cwjgu.jpg

Any advice would be great, I feel like an idiot for not being able to do this but I've referred to the manual of both the car and the radio and can't figure out why it's not working!

that big iso block needs two iso connectors, you should have two iso's connectors from the car have a feel round in there to find it, then slot it in:)
unfortunately, even with this connected it wont be ignition controlled im afraid, if you want it to be turned on and off with the key, you have two options here, one splicing into the cigar lighter (everyones favourite choice, simply, cause its easy to do!) or slight more technical is by splicing into the window control switches, cant comment on this method but heard of people doing it this way....
even the most novices are able to do this splicing, its really easy to do! just get a nice bit of wire a good length so its not tugging on stuff when stereo is in place, splice the power feed wire on cigar lighter, get a bit of heatstrink to cover exposed wire, then on stereo unplug the red wire from its connector, the red wire from stereo splice that, and attach the newly wire from cigar lighter to it, again using heatstrink to cover the exposed wire, then test out and it should if done correctly turn on and off with the key:)

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I looked for another connector but there's nothing back there. Some of these wires seem like maybe they were cut by the prior owner, do you think it was somewhere at the end of these?

bayzdxz7.jpg

cuthny32.jpg

fairly odd:confused:
first ive seen a punto without two iso's:D
every punto i've seen in a scrappy or garage where i use to work had two iso's there.....
have you tried with all it connected (with everything you have there so far) does it power on if you hit the power on switch on the stereo? if not the only way round i can think of is by doing ignition controlled so you basically get a feed of the cigar lighter to power it up and have it that way, yeah it may seem daunting for a novice but honest truth, its a breeze to do even a friend of mine did it on a punto and he had no previous experience with electricals:)
failing that, im sure someone else will add their help on this matter.

Hm I really don't want to fiddle anymore because I honestly have no clue what I'm doing.

Best off going to my local Halfords and having them sort me out, I reckon. Didn't think a radio would cause me so much fuss - at least it's the only problem with the car I've had so far!

Ha, yeah, but not much choice I'm afraid!

i know what option id choose and that certainly isnt halfrauds, half of their staff are brain dead well the ones i go to:bang: when i tell them my knowledge its like their like ohhhhh ok......im like yeah thick sods didnt even know that:D
your best off going to an auto electrician my friend, they tend to not rip you off if you find the right one that is, or last method dive in the deep end and do it yourself, it's really really really really easy!(y)

Yeah when I brought my radio I had go buy an aerial adapter and iso adapter I think :S but halfrauds tried to sell me the front fascia for £16 when on ebay the exact same thing was £3.....

The second missing ISO plug has been cut off, it would have been on the end of the yellow/red/black collection you have in the picture.

Either the red or the yellow will be a permanent live, the other of those two will be the ignition fed live, the black will be the ground/earth, those would be enough to get your new radio running. In addition it is likely that there is an illumination connection one that will become live when you turn on your lights and is the signal to dim the lights on the front of the head-unit. That’s all the basic connections required but if it’s out of your comfort zone I wouldn’t mess about. Everyone knows some one, your local garage if you have a decent one you know would put a suitable iso back on the wires for you, but for the love of your wallet don’t go to Halfords.

If you look at the installation instructions for your new head unit the connections will be clearly marked, if you wanted to see what the connections are for the ISO connector go to pinoutguide.com for concise info that might give you the confidence to buy an ISO plug yourself and do it.

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶
Back