Technical Pictures of Panda 4x4 system

Currently reading:
Technical Pictures of Panda 4x4 system

4x4Panda

Established member
Hi All

Using a set of ramps, i was able to get a reasonable view of the underside of the 4x4.

The system looks pretty substantially built to me, though I was a bit surprised that they don't cover the entire underside with stone-ship / under-seal...

In the pics of the rear differential unit, you will see a two substantial round metal castings bolted up onto the cross member that carries the rear bracket for the diff. Does anyone know what these are for?

Enjoy :)

Attachments

• Panda 4x4 system 01.jpg
    Panda 4x4 system 01.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 540
  • Panda 4x4 system 02.jpg
    Panda 4x4 system 02.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 384
  • Panda 4x4 system 03.jpg
    Panda 4x4 system 03.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 507
  • Panda 4x4 system 04.jpg
    Panda 4x4 system 04.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 482
  • Panda 4x4 system 05.jpg
    Panda 4x4 system 05.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 433
  • Panda 4x4 system 10.jpg
    Panda 4x4 system 10.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 387
  • Panda 4x4 system 09.jpg
    Panda 4x4 system 09.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 410
  • Panda 4x4 system 08.jpg
    Panda 4x4 system 08.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 404
  • Panda 4x4 system 07.jpg
    Panda 4x4 system 07.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 516
  • Panda 4x4 system 06.jpg
    Panda 4x4 system 06.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 432
  • Panda 4x4 system 11.jpg
    Panda 4x4 system 11.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 356
  • Panda 4x4 system 12.jpg
    Panda 4x4 system 12.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 439
  • Panda 4x4 system 13.jpg
    Panda 4x4 system 13.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 330
  • Panda 4x4 system 14.jpg
    Panda 4x4 system 14.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 319
  • Panda 4x4 system 15.jpg
    Panda 4x4 system 15.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 367
Glad you like the shots, chaps :)

Now can anyone who has a Trekking or regular Panda please take a couple of shots of theirs as I'm keen to see if they all have the central tunnel and only partial coverage with the under-seal?

Lastly, i reckon those round castings are dampers to remove some resonance or something that was afflicting that cross tube. Anyone got a better idea? :confused:

nice pics ,it would be interesting to find out what itloks like in a years time after next winter with the salt on the roads ,you are right in saying that some parts do not look well protected , when I took some photos I manage to get under my car with out using ramps , I tried uploading the photos but every time they did not come out anyway thanks for taking the time to show us some of the under side

Over the past few days I've noticed a rubbing noise coming from under the nearside rear of the car (that's what my ears were telling me)
I've been driving with the windows open and the sound reflects off walls and through tunnels. Not noticed it before, but then it's only just warmed up enough to drive with the windows open.

Anyway, it sounded like maybe the disc rubbing but applying the brakes didn't have any impact so that ruled that out. I've booked the car in to be checked but couldn't resist taking a look myself.
I jacked up the rear nearside and turned the wheel. I think I've found it.
If you look at jpg 08 above you can see a sticker wrapped around the front driveshaft. It kind of goes around and then sticks to itself like a loaf of bread seal. These are on all driveshafts as they are part labels.
This particular one was clipping the coil spring every revolution, just like the playing cards we used to peg to our bike frames as kids which clipped the spokes.

Mystery solved! :)

nice pics ,it would be interesting to find out what itloks like in a years time after next winter with the salt on the roads ,you are right in saying that some parts do not look well protected , when I took some photos I manage to get under my car with out using ramps , I tried uploading the photos but every time they did not come out anyway thanks for taking the time to show us some of the under side

Hi nigelspanda - does your car have the same line where the under-seal stops and it is then just the undercoat?

I'm actually a teeny bit concerned, however the line is so definite that I assume the robots are programmed that way; so I hope FIAT knows what it is doing...

In terms of loading up the pics - there is probably a size limit as i was unsuccessful at first, then exported them to a smaller size and had no problems. As you can see i managed to get 15 100kb pics to stick successfully to one post and i am about the least-IT-capable person I know!!

hi deeyup - i too noticed the labels on the drive shafts, but thus far (windows up, mind) I've not heard them snicking on the springs.

One other thing I noticed (see pic 11 above) - the front inner drive shaft CV joints outer case on mine have a tiny amount of surface rust; probably because they are not plated like those at the rear?? I will try and get back under and rub a little grease round them, as it can't do any harm. That said, they are not very accessible so it may not be possible.

Lastly, did anyone else note the cable going to the front of the rear diff case. I'm guessing its a speed sensor to help the ELD to know which brakes to apply.

All the best :)

Last edited:
Is it worth getting the 4x4 additional under body protection/waxyl or it it pretty well protected anyway?

The main area that lacks the under-seal is above the drive shaft in the channel section of the floor-pan. I'm not sure if all Pandas are like this, or just the 4x4, however it is I suppose possible that spray and stones don't make it up that far, but I'm a bit sceptical about that... Anyhow, I've emailed my dealer to ask them to check with the FIAT technical bods first; then depending on what comes back I may indeed get something sprayed up there while the car is still fresh.

That underside just begs for lots of waxoyl! A few years of use in the salt, and there won't be any bits left. I will definetely get my 4x4 protected as soon as possible while its still clean and fresh. Applying underseal when the rust has started (and it will) will delay it, but my thought on this is to prevent it from getting any hold in the first place.

Chaps - the garage cane back to me today having looked into the matter of the underbody protection and (apparently) they are all like this...

Could someone please (pretty please) slip their camera under the car sometime this weekend and take a few shots to confirm if theirs is indeed the same? I'd like to see Trekkings and other 2wd Pandas as well as 4x4s(y)

Thanks in advance!!!

my car looks the same underneath as in the pictures and yes it would have been better if fait had sprayed all under the car with some body protector given that some of us might take our cars off road with the mud and water and stones ,also theres the winters to come

Thanks nigel and chris!!:)

I think I may still try and get it treated - just to be on the safe side.

That latest picture though shows me just how clever FIAT have been with the Panda - the channel down the middle is for the exhaust on 2wd pandas and the prop-shaft on 4x4s, with the silencer then tucked up under the rear bumper. Very clever FIAT (y)

Now, is a Trekking more like a 2wd or a 4x4 underneath?? Come on chaps, more pics needed please :D:D

all the best

Now, is a Trekking more like a 2wd or a 4x4 underneath?? Come on chaps, more pics needed please :D:D

I'll take a few pics of my Trekking's underbits and try to post them :rolleyes:

Superficially, I'd say the Trekking's like the 4x4 with bits missing :eek:
That it shares the smaller 4x4 fuel tank supports my supposition ;)

Chris

Back