General Worth buying?

Currently reading:
General Worth buying?

the frog

I was thinking of buying a Multipla JTD as my next family car - but looking at this forum, it seems like the diesel isn't the most trouble free choice.

I like the mpg figures Fiat quote too, how realistic are they and how do they compare with the petrol version.

Thanks in advance

If you do buy the JTD its the best choice for the Multipla - basically because we are getting an additional 35BHP out of the engine giving you at lease 145BHP if you start with the 110 :)
Nige
www.angeltuning.co.uk

Fiat Bravo HGT155
Fiat Barchetta
http://www.angeltuning.co.uk
http://www.bravo-guide.co.uk THE Fiat Bravo site

Cheers for the reply - I was starting to think this was the most unfriendly forum on the 'net;)

Yep the JTD is the one I was after because of the mpg, just worried about the reliability[8)]. I used to have an Uno diesel a few years ago which was pretty economical and relatively trouble free.

Had our 115JTD for about 10 months now. Problems so far:

1. Turbo cutting-out intermittently on motorway. Cause: "Burnt-out" wire found after changing airflow sensor and ECU.

2. Oil Leak. Cause: crimped gasket.

3. Blowing fuse on off-side main beam. Cause: Trapped wire.

4. Rear wheel bearing failure.

5. Bush on front anti-roll bar causing knocking noise from suspension.

6. Very noisey when cold and generally low mpg (average 25-27 mpg). Replaced diesel filter and cleaned injectors and is now a lot better (but not perfect). Now getting average of about 32 mpg according to trip computer and about 40+ mpg on longer, slower trips (no motorway).

7. Central locking and electric windows packed in. I fiddled with main fuses under bonnet (dealer was too busy) and it's been fine ever since.

8. Missus forgot to take aerial off in carwash (silly moo), obvious consequence. Was a bugger to get the remainder of the thread out.

But all this being said I am generally very happy with it.

Anash,

Did you buy your car new?

I drove a 105 JTD today and was impressed with the performance, drove a 16v petrol which was quite spritely too.

I'm tempted to buy a new one though as my local dealer will sell me a brand new 115 jtd 'demonstator' with 0 miles on it for £11150 if I take the finance, which works out at about £300 over the list price over 5 years. This sounds good to me!

Got ours second hand, 6 months old, ex Fiat dealer demonstrator.

It is a 115 JTD SX with metalic paint and double electric sunroofs, works out about £15,000 new list price (with those extras)had 6000 miles on it and paid £12,000 with a more than expected trade-in on our old Nissan Serena.

Well I've only gone and done it!!!!

Bought an ex demonstrator - 115 jtd registered march 03 with 5k on the clock for £10,600 - this is the most I've ever paid for a car - hop it's worth it!:D

Had my diesel JTD 15 months and 24K miles. Generally very pleased with it, a couple of points:

Don't believe the trip computer, the diesel consumption is much better than it says, try working it out for yourself. I'm told post 'facelift', i.e. Sept 92 on cars have a misprogrammed trip computer.

Be prepared for high tyre costs, I'm just about to replace the fronts for the 2nd time.

Yes, the engine it a bit rattly when cold, but that's hydraulic tappets for you - it's fine when warm.

You may get a few spurious error messages from the computer, my most common one is 'high humidity diesel filter' - which first happened on the way home from picking it up as new.

The handbrake on mine freezes up in -C weather - maybe I have a duff cable.

If the parcel shelf is struggle to get out, they have a fix, I think it's just smaller diameter rubbers, but it works well.

If you buy from a good Fiat dealer, the irritating little failures which seem to be a Fiat feature will be no problem - I find Tates in Hove, Sussex, are great. Anything at all wrong, they fix it under warranty.

Finally, nothing that looks like this should be as much fun to drive, maybe that accounts for the tyre wear - that and the 140 bhp + 'black box' optimiser. I've had two Espaces, Volvos, a Scenic, and driven most MPV's, this works best for me unless you have 6 people + luggage.

Max

Hi,

I had my 2000(W) Multipla JTD ELX on Friday with 72k on the clock. I love the features, drive and effortless power in all gears.

I drive for a local ten piece (yes, 10!) band and used to drive them around in a Mercedes Sprinter LWB bus. NO COMPARISON! This beats it hands down on all counts.

I drove the duo (a splinter band of singer and guitarist) with a HUGE amount of gear, namely amps, monitors, speakers, processors, gig bag, outfits, mixing desk, aluminium flight cases containing radio mikes etc and the heaviest bass bin you would be likely to see. It all fitted in, (with rear seats removed) and the car drove as though it was just me in there!! We usaually had to use the sprinter, or borrow a big Nissan van. I actually slowed down earlier approaching roundabouts as I thought is would be hard work for the brakes, but an emergency stop on a crossroads (when a dear young lady did not realise that she did not have right of way but flew through anyway) stopped us without mishap.

I only drive a smaller number of the band now on band nights, as we have dispensed with the services of the Sprinter, but am confident the "frog" will happily carry us around in style. I can now carry up to five members, rather than the three I had planned with the car I had.[8D]

A New experience, and loving it!

Back