Tuning 900T Engine swap/upgrade

Currently reading:
Tuning 900T Engine swap/upgrade

Gary50

Established member
Hi
Anyone performed an engine swap/upgrade on a 900T Amigo?

We have owned ours for 13 years but it's been off-road for the last 6 years - usual stuff (house moves, children, difficulty in getting spares...).

It is now approaching the time that I can start bringing her back from the brink. Generally the body work isn't too bad, what body parts I can't get hold of I can fabricate.

The real problem is the engine and running gear. I can just about find enough spares to get her up and running this time but the suppliers are listing the spares availability in only ones & twos.

As parts will eventually dry up I began wondering if its worthwhile ripping out the existing engine and running gear and using something more recent. It's important to note that externally I want to keep the van looking as near original as possible.

I appreciate that this may be considered sacrilege by some, in which case please accept the apologies of a newbie to the forum.

Incidentally, minus any better suggestions my first thought is to use a Smart Car as a donor - I stumbled across a video showing an engine removal for one and it looks like the engine, transaxle & suspension all come out on one subframe. The track is slightly wider that the 900T but I don't mind flaring the arches a little to compensate.

Look forward to the responses.

Back