Technical servicing 1.3MJ 09

Currently reading:
Technical servicing 1.3MJ 09

kuliand

Hello, i want to start and service my own car now that the warranty is over but i have come across a couple of issues. Firstly i have read that the DPF regen only works properly if the ECU is updated so that the car knows it has had an oil change is this correct?

Secondly i see that there are two types of oil filter i have the last three part numbers so can anyone determine which type of filter i need from these? 55197218, 46544820 and 55197218

Thanks

Hi

I have a 09 MJ and my partner has an 08 MJ and I service both of these myself with no problems, to the best of my knowledge they don't have a dpf fitted, they just have egr valves, I'm sure most easterly panda's will be able to set the record straight on this.

If you take the filter part numbers to any quality car parts shop they will be able to cross reference them for you, but I just took the old oil filter down with me as a guide.

Last edited:
If you take the filter part numbers to any quality car parts shop they will be able to cross reference them for you, but I just took the old oil filter down with me as a guide.

That is a very dangerous way to buy parts as it depends totally on the assumption the part currently fitted is the correct one - you have no way of knowing whether the job was done last time using incorrect parts.

Google BA flight 5390 for a real-world example of the kind of thing that could go wrong if you just replace what is there on a 'like-for-like' basis.

The Fiat Panda multijet(2003 - 2012) the oil filter is an internal one, the external housings look identical and even Fiat cannot tell which of the 2 possible filters has been fitted until it has been opened.
The 2 filters are very slightly different in size and have a ring of clips on top which are different sizes, the filter on mine clips inside the screw off lid so you cannot fit the wrong filter.

When I bought my filter from fiat the first time I was given the option of buying both filters and then returning the one I didn't use for a refund or I could take my old filter with me and they could match it.
You only have to do this the first time you change the filter as you now have the part number to buy the correct filter.

I hope this makes my previous post a little clearer...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

Searching on shop4parts i think i can find which oil filter i need as 46544820 returns filters for petrol engines so i can rule that one out though it is strange that part No is on one of my service invoices when i have MJ.

I have looked at my instruction manual and it mentions a DPF warning light so i am still a little uncertain if my car has a DPF or not -does anyone know how to find out? is there something i can look for on the car?

Thanks again for the links and info.

I have a blue J so i might not have the DPF -My only concern about the DPF is i read the car needs to know the age of the oil to manage this correctly and to do this something in the ECU needs to be reset when the oil is changed. But as the usual DPF issues i do 30 mile trip to work each way down a good A road so my car is up to 60/70mph 5 days a week.

The MJ is easy to service, there will be no DPF on your car ( I bet there isn't a Mk2 Panda in the UK with a DPF - I wait for the replies) and the ECU does not need anything doing to it. Sounds like a scam by someone trying to spoil home mechanics fun.

Undo the top of the oil filter first and the filter oil will then drain into sump, which you can then empty. Don't overtighten the sump plug.
Use a full synthetic oil 5W40. Most Pandas have the UFI oil filter, but not all.
Even though you do 70mph on the motorway, I would still recommend giving the car a good 15 or 30 second blast at full throttle and 4500rpm. This will exercise the turbo wastegate actuator and also blow some crud out of the exhaust. I have a favorite hill where it gets the beans !!!

Back