R.I.P. Maggie

Currently reading:
R.I.P. Maggie

Controversial topic!

She had no direct impact on me, all I can remember was getting lots of time off primary school because of the teachers strikes back in the 80s.

However, being Scottish, I know alot of people who's lives were directly and negatively impacted by Thatchers spell in power, and whom I can probably safely say wont be morning tonight.

I was shocked when I heard the news on the radio though.

Never liked her at all and have always felt she left everything a little worse than it was before.........Crushed the Unions and also devestated our manufacturing industry. We have lost skills that will never breturn.
She told us that the financial hub of London would be the new engine room of our economy and look what's happened to that. We can't make stuff to sell because no one knows how to any more..

But...

I must be wrong as now she is passed everyone sez how nice she was....

Hmm?

Last edited:
I would dance a jig, but lack of calcium has left my bones too frail for activities like that.

I never got my daily quota either (n)

Anyone else suffer because of the poll tax? It was supposedly a tax on the person - not the house.
At the time, I was on paternal leave, it made more sense for me to take the year off as SWMBO's job was more important than mine (so she also earned more). The leave was simply an agreement with my managers - I took a year out without pay so they could pay my temp replacement.
Despite having zero income, I was still expected to pay my poll tax - with what? I wasn't even entitled to benefits.
So, despite this being a tax on the individual, my refusal to pay resulted in my tax being deducted from SWMBO's wage at source - how fair is that?
Also, the rate of tax was set so high that it meant we were WORSE off as the poll tax was almost double our rates.

My manager, on the other hand, was absolutely delighted - she lived in a 5-bed detached property with over an acre of land, swimming pool etc. Her & hubby were now paying exactly the same as us in our 2.5 bed end of terrace (the so-called 3rd bedroom is a box room).
(n)

Well I live in the north...in a former pit village that was slated for demolition after she closed the mines...only reason there haven't been street parties is most of the damage she did was 50 years ago.

Well I live in the north...in a former pit village that was slated for demolition after she closed the mines...only reason there haven't been street parties is most of the damage she did was 50 years ago.

50 years :confused:really!

was a girl on local news just now too young to have been around back then saying "she must have done a hard job well to get voted in 3 times":bang: the only reason she got voted in was because women voted for her just because she was a woman, no other reason.

should have never given women the vote:devil:

Do you really think they would still be a mining industry today or a ship building industry or steel industry if Mrs Thatcher hadn't been in power ?

Yes she hurried their decline but UK's industry was doomed due to cheaper competition.

It could have been left to limp on with massive govt support like Rover but in the end would have been a huge financial drain.

If it was such a bad decision why didn't Labour undo these changes? Because it was the right thing to do. I seem to recall that Labour left most of the trade union legislation alone too when they came to power - what a bunch of tory copy cat sell outs they are!

Last edited:
50 years :confused:really!

was a girl on local news just now too young to have been around back then saying "she must have done a hard job well to get voted in 3 times":bang: the only reason she got voted in was because women voted for her just because she was a woman, no other reason.

should have never given women the vote:devil:

:nutter:

Back